• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Tailor in MD/DC

LaughingColors

Reaction score
Hey,

Just moved to DC from LA, and am looking for a good tailor. I'm in Potomac, so anywhere NW DC or close to potomac please. I"m on the shorter side and will need to get a bunch of pants tailored.

thank you for your recommendations

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
I recently moved to DC as well so this info would be very useful! A friend of mine from la told me his tailor managed to reduce the waist on a pair of diesels and they fit him perfect now. I need to do the same.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaughingColors
Hey,

Just moved to DC from LA, and am looking for a good tailor. I'm in Potomac, so anywhere NW DC or close to potomac please. I"m on the shorter side and will need to get a bunch of pants tailored.

thank you for your recommendations

Do a search, there are a couple of threads on this already.

I recommend London Tailor in Bethesda. A little on the expensive side, but they do great work, are very fast and will make sure you are 100% satisfied.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best tailor I've been to is this man named Jose who works at the Burlington Coat Factory at Arundel Mills. Not only are the prices less than traditional shops (say $60 to take in the center back of a sports coat vs. $100 at some other places in Rockville/Bethesda), but the man is really friendly and does a remarkable job. The drive is longer from Potomac, but since the prices are lower, it's worth the time. I've moved to NYC 2 years ago and when I was home in MD for an extended break, I took the opportunity to get two suits tailored.

Anyways I've trusted him with my Dior Homme, Jil Sander, etc and it all came out great. I'm not sure if he still works there but give the store a call and see. Good luck.

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atomicranch
Do a search, there are a couple of threads on this already.

I recommend London Tailor in Bethesda. A little on the expensive side, but they do great work, are very fast and will make sure you are 100% satisfied.

I asked this question several months back and you recommended London Tailor. I took your advice and they did a great job. Def recommended.

mikej77

Reaction score
For suit alterations, I use Field's on Wisconsin. Expensive but his work is always top notch.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no love for mr. do's? i would take a bullet for that man. if i had the money, field's would be my fave, but mr. do does quality work and is an excellent human being as well.

constantine.

Reaction score
Ctrl: How does the quality of work at Field's compare to Mr. Do's? And how much more does Field's charge? Thanks.

jkester

Reaction score
another vote for field's. 2 suits and a jacket made by him/his father. great work.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constantine.
Ctrl: How does the quality of work at Field's compare to Mr. Do's? And how much more does Field's charge? Thanks.

field's is top-notch. i'm pretty sure they're english, the original william p. field had a five-year apprenticeship in savile row, so his craftsmanship was pretty impeccable. sadly, he passed about 3 years ago and his son has taken the reins. here is his obit from the wapo:

Originally Posted by The Washington Post
William Peter Field, 75, the owner of Field English Custom Tailors in Georgetown for 26 years, died July 26 at the Specialty Hospital of Washington, a long-term care facility. He had Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, a neurological disorder.

Mr. Field, formerly of Bethesda lived most recently in Derwood.
He was born in London, where he had a five-year apprenticeship in the tailoring business in Savile Row and spent another two-years as a journeyman.

In 1963, he sailed on the Queen Mary to Washington to accept a position with M. Saunders on Connecticut Avenue in Northwest Washington. He was the head tailor there for about eight years. He then started his own business in Georgetown, where he worked until recently.

His shop is known for its bespoke suits, which are fitted and made to specifications on the premises.

In 1961, Mr. Field won the Tailor & Cutter Exhibition's Gold Premier Award and had received Washingtonian magazine's "Best Tailor" award several times. He was a member of the British & Commonwealth Society of North America.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Joyce Bennett Field of Arlington, and a son, William Peter Field II of Washington.

and here is their yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/field-englis...ors-washington

i do love mr. do's for jeans, shirts, and such, but if something absolutely needs to be perfect field's is worth the wait and top-dollar. if i needed any suit alterations/bespoke anything i would definitely go here, although i myself have never gotten anything tailored, my friend who used to own "the district line" store (it specialized in british designer menswear) had his ben sherman and ted baker suits done there and they looked amazing!

as far as pricing, field's is considerably more expensive although i couldn't give you an accurate estimate.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i got some stuff back from fields the other day, excellent perfect work, very friendly, but expensive

KA1555

Reaction score
Anyone have any ballpark prices on Fields? (Alterations-wise)

brozeus

Reaction score
I'm also relatively new to the DC area, and in search of a high quality tailor. I have a couple suits that are relatively ill-fitting. (being young and inexperienced I was convinced to buy 40L when I now realize a 38R is the perfect fit) These suits are of moderate quality (800-1000 MRSP), but I am debating if I should even bother with pricey alterations or just opt for a few TaT suits instead.

I know this question is rather vague, but can anyone give me a general estimate what Field/Do might charge to taper sleeves/trousers and take in the waist on the jacket/pants of a suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads