• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Tailor in Austin/San Antonio area

follinglo

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to the area and I have some shirts/suits that need to be tailored.
I live between San Antonio and Austin and would greatly appreciate any recommendations to any good tailors in either San Antonio or Austin or anywhere in between.
Thanks,
Victor

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by follinglo
Hello all,
I'm new to the area and I have some shirts/suits that need to be tailored.
I live between San Antonio and Austin and would greatly appreciate any recommendations to any good tailors in either San Antonio or Austin or anywhere in between.
Thanks,
Victor

Try Mario at Oak Hills Custom Tailor in SA

4813 Fredericksburg Rd Ste A
San Antonio, TX 78229

(210) 340-2245

Hackett

Reaction score
When I had the same question I called Satel's and asked who they would recommend; they suggested Layo's, just off of 410 between Broadway and Nacogdoches. He's good, but very opinionated if he disagrees with you stylistically. I guess he's used to dealing with schlubbier customers, and I got into it with him over having a single break in the trousers (he thought it was too short) and other things, but his work is as good as anything I've found in town.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I live in Austin nowadays, and I've used Gassane Tailors off Anderson and 183. They're fine enough, I suppose, but expensive, slow, and he is pretty opinionated. I let him convince me into longer sleeves on my jacket than I really wanted.. he just seemed to think I was crazy to want to show half an inch of cuff.

He also smells of cigarettes and bad coffee. If anyone knows a better tailor option in Austin, I'd welcome it.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say Gassane Tailors. Ask for Joseph. I haven't met anyone else there. I have another good tailor who I go to all the time, but he is swamped at the moment, and I need him for my own things
smile.gif

datsunfan

Reaction score
Do any of you all in San Antonio have a recommendation for a good dry cleaners for suits? I called Mario at Oak Hills Custom Tailor and he said that he "didn't really know", but mentioned of hearing good things about both Kraft and Culpepper. Has anyone used either of these for suits or have any other recommendations? Thanks.

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I would say Gassane Tailors. Ask for Joseph. I haven't met anyone else there. I have another good tailor who I go to all the time, but he is swamped at the moment, and I need him for my own things
smile.gif

Ditto on Gassane IF, and only if, you need something that requires real tailoring expertise. Otherwise, take it to Ace Custom Tailors in Austin at 12th and Lamar. An older Cuban woman there does a great job and is very attentive.

Hackett

Reaction score
I've heard Culpepper is good, but I haven't tried them myself. Not yet in a position where I'm wearing my suits often enough to need them dry-cleaned, just brushed and steamed.

fusQer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hackett
When I had the same question I called Satel's and asked who they would recommend; they suggested Layo's, just off of 410 between Broadway and Nacogdoches. He's good, but very opinionated if he disagrees with you stylistically. I guess he's used to dealing with schlubbier customers, and I got into it with him over having a single break in the trousers (he thought it was too short) and other things, but his work is as good as anything I've found in town.

I had the exact opinion of Layo and I think its because he's lazy and doesn't want to fix his mistakes so he coins it into a "style" thing. I am changing tailors, I was recommended Mario on Fredricksburg. I'll report back.

Last edited:

Woodman

Reaction score
Kraft Cleaners in San Antonio is stellar.
I've used them for years.
For tailoring, Mr. Pina at Fancy & Pina does excellent work, including reweaving.
He regularly takes care of alterations for my Kiton and Brioni pieces.

w

fusQer

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Hackett

I had the exact opinion of Layo and I think its because he's lazy and doesn't want to fix his mistakes so he coins it into a "style" thing. I am changing tailors, I was recommended Mario on Fredricksburg. I'll report back.
Reporting back: do NOT goto Mario on Fredricksburg! I went a few times and he was very arrogant, did bad work (stitches ripped out when i put my feet in the trousers), had a bad attitude, and wasn't even cheap to boot (I'm more than willing to pay extra for good work). This was a lose-lose-lose situation. I took Woodman's recommendation at Kraft Cleaners, A+. Pina doesn't really mess around, he just wants to do the job nicely. Thanks for the rec Woodman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads