• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor for alterations in DC (Adam's Morgan/Dupont Ciricle)

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to DC. I'm looking for a great tailor for alterations, hopefully within walking distance from my apartment in Adams Morgan/Dupont. I want someone good, but not too pricey. In the past I've been to tailors who did great custom work but terrible alterations. Not what I want. I want someone for good alterations. But I don't want anyone who charges more than, say, 7 dollars per hand cut and sewn buttonhole (I hate it when an order of functional buttonholes costs 80+...

This tailor needn't be within walking distance from my apartment. If s/he is, all the better, but if you know someone awesome, I'll drive!

msameth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
But I don't want anyone who charges more than, say, 7 dollars per hand cut and sewn buttonhole (I hate it when an order of functional buttonholes costs 80+...

Unless you want your buttonholes to look something like this:

DSCN9200_lg.JPG

I sincerely hope you raise the price you expect to pay, especially at reputable downtown establishments. Nicely made, hand-sewn buttonholes are quite labor-intensive, and this is not the third world. Mr. Field of Georgetown (http://www.fieldtailors.com/) reportedly (several DC SFers can vouch for him) makes very nice ones, but you will be paying $80+. Do's (http://www.doscustomtailors.com/ probably will do them for less than WF, but no idea of the quality.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by msameth
Unless you want your buttonholes to look something like this:

DSCN9200_lg.JPG

I sincerely hope you raise the price you expect to pay, especially at reputable downtown establishments. Nicely made, hand-sewn buttonholes are quite labor-intensive, and this is not the third world. Mr. Field of Georgetown (http://www.fieldtailors.com/) reportedly (several DC SFers can vouch for him) makes very nice ones, but you will be paying $80+. Do's (http://www.doscustomtailors.com/ probably will do them for less than WF, but no idea of the quality.

Hmm.. In NY my tailor did buttonholes for 5 a piece. And they were perfect. Thanks, though.

JT82

Reaction score
Are you serious? Do a friggin search. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the forvm.

Field is the best, hands down. You'll see him recommended in all DC tailor threads, and is my suggestion as well. Good luck finding someone to do this work for $5.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally forced my lazy ass and decision-phobic self to find and get ****** over to a tailor to work on the clothing that has been accumulating for about a year now... I went to Mr. Do's, on Wisconsin Ave. in Georgetown, and I need to report that I am very, very, very happy. Mr. Do is friendly and professional, with good intuition for the work that needed to be done. Best of all, when I dropped the clothing off at 1 PM today, he asked when I'd like to pick it up. Jokingly, I said I would love to wear one of the suits I dropped off to a dinner I was going to attend tonight. Without flinching he said I should come pick it up at 5 PM! And we're talking about serious alterations. I picked the suit up and, despite the four hour time limit, the work was impeccable. I wore the suit and received upward of 10 compliments on it tonight. I'm thrilled! Long Live Mr. Do!
photo9-27.jpg
photo7-31.jpg
photo5-32.jpg
photo4-36.jpg
photo2-38.jpg
photo-32.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics