• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good suits for my price point?

skeen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new - I'm from London, England. I'm in my early twenties, and starting the beginning of next year, I shall be going into business for myself.

My work will involve getting out there, and meeting potential clients, and overall, networking.

I will need a suit. And shoes. The watch I have down (I own a Panerai), but I'm told people don't really notice the watch so much.

I am bootstrapping my company, and while I think I have plenty to last me, I need to make wise financial decisions, and keep costs as low as possible.

With that said, I don't want something cheap - a cheap suit might be worse than no suit at all. But I can't go for a custom-tailored suit either - aside from the cost, I can't be dressing 3-tiers above my clientele!

I have settled on a price point of about £500 to spend on both the suit, and a pair of shoes. Taking the advice of others, I am going to go for a dark gray, or charcoal coloured suit, as it doesn't stand out as much as the lighter colours, and seems suitable for all occasions.

I do like the look of the kind of marble brown shoes that are available, but would equally be happy in black.

I would really appreciate your advice - I throw myself at your mercy!

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the suit - get thee to Suitsupply (they have a shop in London somewhere near Saville Row apparently). Not sure what their prices are in pounds, but you'll certainly be able to afford a RTW suit with some money left over for the shoes. Having said that, as someone who owns both, I would strongly recommend going for their MTM programme - check out my post in the WAYWRN thread today for a vague idea of what that looks like.

For shoes around the right price, I would normally recommend van Bommel but don't think they're sold in England. Try Magnanni?

Nice watch BTW.

skeen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
For the suit - get thee to Suitsupply (they have a shop in London somewhere near Saville Row apparently). Not sure what their prices are in pounds, but you'll certainly be able to afford a RTW suit with some money left over for the shoes. Having said that, as someone who owns both, I would strongly recommend going for their MTM programme - check out my post in the WAYWRN thread today for a vague idea of what that looks like.

For shoes around the right price, I would normally recommend van Bommel but don't think they're sold in England. Try Magnanni?

Nice watch BTW.

Thanks. Suitsupply seems like a pretty good place, and they do alterations, so I'll be able to get something that fits. I think I shall pop into their London store for a lookaround.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 246 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40