• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good sportcoat fit?

LukeZZ

Reaction score
I have a navy corduroy sportcoat that I plan to take to the tailor. I am looking for examples of similar, well fitting jackets.

What do you think of this fit:

rogues-gallery-suits-summer-2010-selectism-4-357x540.jpg

Steeze

Reaction score
People will say it looks like a women's jacket and it's too short but I think it looks good. This is how I like my sport coats to be cut, especially with jeans. If you're wearing it with chinos at a country club obviously you'd want a diff cut but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't see the pic, that considered I think that sportcoats worn with jeans should certainly be shorter than those intended for slacks.

There can be a little crossover of course So i err on the short side for sportcoats.

EvilFish

Reaction score
It's quite a casual sports coat, and would be ideal with jeans and an open-necked shirt. I wouldn't wear it with anything dressier however.

In terms of fit, the sleeves are a tad long and there seems to be a bit of pulling in the chest area. But overall it looks good.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks good, I would shorten the sleeves a bit, if anything, to show some shirt cuff.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even for a sportscoat, it looks a little short and tight.

The fabric around the button looks like it's stretching to keep it closed.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks horrible; what the **** is wrong with you people?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like at all!

Saltricks

Reaction score
It looks 2 sizes too small! The button stance seems really high too...it sits right below the chest, maybe a 3/2?

literasyme

Reaction score
I think that looks OK for a very casual jacket -- not a sports coat per se, though. The shortness in this case doesn't strike me as particularly feminine, if that's a worry. It does look tight, though, and the sleeves are too long.

In any context other than street wear, I'd give it a thumbs down. It certainly wouldn't look good with dressier trousers and/or a dress shirt.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a trend towards shorter and shorter jackets, and I don't think it looks good. It makes a man look either like a little boy or as though he was wearing a woman's jacket. Seems kind of like the trend towards overly skinny jeans, or those man-capris that were popular for a while.

When we look back at the 90s, most of us are embarrassed for wearing overly baggy clothing. I suspect ten years from now, many will look back and be embarrassed for wearing overly small clothing.

Also, get the sleeves shortened appropriately.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I can't see the pic, that considered I think that sportcoats worn with jeans should certainly be shorter than those intended for slacks.

this is true. nothing says that they SHOULD be, but they often are, and hence legitimize themselves by force of usage.

OP's look is very obviously a SW&D one rather than a MC one. asking for reactions on MC is predictably going to lead to his getting clobbered. these shrunken cotton jackets are not meant to be judged by the same standards as a normal blazer. they are a legit look, even though it is an emphatically fashiony one, and best accompanied by an equally shrunken designer murse and a sprightly gait. in other words, not for everyone.

that said, i'd still say this is a half size too small.

ps. paging AmplifiedHeat.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
this is true. nothing says that they SHOULD be, but they often are, and hence legitimize themselves by force of usage. OP's look is very obviously a SW&D one rather than a MC one. asking for reactions on MC is predictably going to lead to his getting clobbered. these shrunken cotton jackets are not meant to be judged by the same standards as a normal blazer. they are a legit look, even though it is an emphatically fashiony one, and best accompanied by an equally shrunken designer murse and a sprightly gait. in other words, not for everyone. that said, i'd still say this is a half size too small. ps. paging AmplifiedHeat.
Good point. To be fair, in some circles, this looks great. But they tend to be younger, hipsterish kind of folks. I'm sure they look at the MC forum and think people dress too conservatively, are trying to hard to look like old men, or dress like unhip fathers. There's no reason to think that one view should prevail over the other necessarily. That said, I still think the jacket is too short, but recognize this is just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads