• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good source for regimental ties (~3 inches wide)?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm looking for a not-to-expensive source for not-to-wide regimental striped ties--about 3 inches wide, and less than $100 a tie (but the closer to $50 the better). J. Press was my first thought, but the ties aren't as soft as they used to be. It seems that every since they switched to Chinese production, a lot of the silk has become stiff and papery. All the Brooks Brothers ties I've seen have been too wide, too glitzy, or too slick. They also aren't consistent season-to-season.

Standard four-fold construction is fine and I don't want anything thick. Any ideas?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atkinsons make some narrow regimental ties. Irish poplin wool/silk blend is nice. Retail for a bit under $100 here in Canada.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Atkinsons make some narrow regimental ties. Irish poplin wool/silk blend is nice. Retail for a bit under $100 here in Canada.

Where do you buy those in Canada?

DandySF

Reaction score
Ben Silver has a vast array of regimental ties. However, I just checked on the width and couldn't determine how close to 3" they are. At $95 they're at the upper end of your range.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Where do you buy those in Canada?

Maison Simons department store. Only in QuÃ
00a9.png
bec AFAIK.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Sam Hober offers a wide range of regimental striped ties. They are about 80$ if I remember correct and you could choose lenght and wide for yourself.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find a department store that sells Polo ties. They have a pretty large range of pretty authentic looking regimental ties, good width, and pretty decent construction.. They are priced at $105 or so, but you can often find them on sale for well under $100.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ben Silver's are 3.25". At least, they were when I was buying them.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew?

Polo Rugby?

They're not bad, either of them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ben Silver's are 3.25". At least, they were when I was buying them.

Hmm, good to know. Now I'm contemplating finding a source for Atkinson's Irish poplin fabric and sending it to Rubinacci . . .

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm, good to know. Now I'm contemplating finding a source for Atkinson's Irish poplin fabric and sending it to Rubinacci . . .

Cable Car typically has a ton of Atkinson in stock. The width is 3.5", however.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am sure Rubinacci could get it if he wants. Is his build quality any better than Hober's? Why not have Hober make a tie to the exact size and shape you want?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am sure Rubinacci could get it if he wants. Is his build quality any better than Hober's? Why not have Hober make a tie to the exact size and shape you want?

I dunno, I like what I'm familiar with and sourcing things from the same place if possible. As far as build quality goes, I don't know how Hober's unlined seven-fold ties would compare, to be honest. Have you seen both?

With regard to Rubinacci getting it directly, I have no idea. I only know that they don't carry a standard selection of regimental stripes; sometimes they have some, sometimes they don't.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno, I like what I'm familiar with and sourcing things from the same place if possible. As far as build quality goes, I don't know how Hober's unlined seven-fold ties would compare, to be honest. Have you seen both?

With regard to Rubinacci getting it directly, I have no idea. I only know that they don't carry a standard selection of regimental stripes; sometimes they have some, sometimes they don't.

I have seen neither. I have regular construction ties from Hober and they are very good. If the benefit of sourcing things from the same place is convenience, I don't see how having to source the silk for yourself is much help, but if you like the idea of working with the same person over and over again, I get it.

Why not send a Rubinacci tie to Hober, tell him what you do and don't like about it and ask if he can make a tie exactly the way you want. You might find that turns out to be a good permanent source.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics