• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Source for British Commando Sweater?

sammy

Reaction score
I'd like to purchase a British commando sweater (100% wool, ribbed, shoulder and elbow patches, navy color). Please recommend some good retailers (online or brick and mortar). Preferably, I 'd like to get an authentic one with the traditional slim fit. Thank You.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swore I saw some for sale recently by another forum member under SWD B&S, so maybe have a look there too.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I'd like to purchase a British commando sweater (100% wool, ribbed, shoulder and elbow patches, navy color). Please recommend some good retailers (online or brick and mortar). Preferably, I 'd like to get an authentic one with the traditional slim fit. Thank You.

I have one in RAF blue that I picked up from a local military surplus store, and I suggest you try the same. (I beleive mine is RCAF not RAF, but probably not a big difference.)

Going out on a limb here but ... I think you will find that the British military makes those sweaters for each branch of the military ... army, air force, navy ... and the one you describe is probably for the ... navy. I rather suspect that the "commando" one would be black.

(You will probably get a much "nicer" sweater by going with a civilian brand like LL Bean or Orvis or whoever, but ... do you really want "nice" in this instance??)

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a black one from LL Bean last year. Only wore it once or twice; nice trim fit, but the sleeves and body are very long.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I purchased a black one from LL Bean last year. Only wore it once or twice; nice trim fit, but the sleeves and body are very long.
Got the same one. Tried the "tall" version first. I am 6"2+ and could wear it like a dress.

Settled on the regular. No complaints, very fitted, a bit scratchy, but that is what I was looking for.

matero30

Reaction score
Orvis has some too. They're not %100 authentic if that's important to you; they're more like "inspired by" the comando sweaters but more stylized. Very good quality though, they come in black or olive in shawl neck or zip up, not the crew neck you might be looking for. (yeah I used to work at Orvis lol).

If you want the crew neck I would go with llbean. Cabelas is dissapointing in my experience when you get it out of the box.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
very fitted, a bit scratchy

+1 Given the width measurement they gave me for a small, I ordered a medium. While I'm used to turning back the cuffs on sweaters, I get 5 inch cuffs with this one; the sleeves are so damn long that they cover part of the elbow patches! Also, the sweater hits past the hips. Maybe it was meant to be worn tucked in?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Also, go to your local Army/Navy store. They should have some authentic "official issue" ones there

+1 Also try ebay.

indy116

Reaction score
I found the sleeves on the LL Bean one to be incredibly long, at least in the tall version I bought. Returned it becasue of them. Nice sweater otherwise -- maybe the regular would be better..?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads