• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good, simple advice re: Supplements

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is some good and simple advice for those looking at supplements. Most of them do very little to help you. Eat healthy and balanced meals and you have little need for supplements.

The supplements that work best are either illegal (steriods, etc.) or mess up your body (NO-Xplode).

Very few people actually eat properly, and for those who do, many don't eat properly on a consistent basis. You will gain fair more in health, muscle, etc. by improving your diet and exercise routine than you will from any legal and safe supplement.

I know you, reader, probably don't want to hear this, but it is the truth. Everyone wants that "supplement," that one (or more) thing that boosts their energy or strength. Trust me, you are largely wasting your time and money and possibly your health.

The few things that people should consider are the following. First, if you have a difficult time eating properly, then consider a multi-vitamin. However, if you do eat properly, then a multi does little good for you.

Second, it is helpful to supplement your protein intake with a protein supplement. However, don't overdo it. Anything more than one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is a waste. Also, don't consume more than 40 grams in a two hour period -- your body won't process the extra.

Third, if you really must use a "supplement" (as most people think of it), you can give creatine a shot. It does work, but only marginally. Make sure you don't overdo it, drink lots of water (and don't drink alcohol), and cycle it properly. And, don't use it when you are within the first 6 months of starting a workout regime or already making good gains. It works best to help your body break through plateaus.

I hope this helps you all.

Crucial Stats:
6'4"
240 lbs
47" Chest
36" Waist
19.25 Biceps (okay, okay, that is my right arm, my left is 18.75)
Max Bench -- 435 lbs (well, right now its probably only 425)

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, how exactly does NO-Xplode "mess up" your body?
sarcasm.gif

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
out of curiosity, how exactly does NO-Xplode "mess up" your body?
sarcasm.gif

It can seriously mess up your liver. A number of people have reported this, and it did it to me as well. I was actually getting really good results with it. So, I was thinking, "wow, I've found something that actually works." After finishing a cycle, I decided to research it more to make sure it was safe (like Creatine for example). Well, I found a number of people who reported liver problems while on it. Concerned, I had a liver test and sure enough my liver was all out of whack. Once I had been off of it for about a month, then my liver test came back normal. Of course, this may not happen to everyone. But, as I've said before, it seems, unfortunately, that the supplements that actually work are the ones most likely to harm your body.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, i had not heard that. thatnks for the quick response though. i did some research on it before i started using it but admittedly i did more investigating into whether it worked or not. i'm actually taking it right now but once i finish what i bought i think i'll switch to something else. it hasn't worked all that well, i haven't gotten the rush people have described, but part of that is i'm relatively unaffected by caffeine. i had good results in college stacking NO2 and basic creatine, perhaps i'll go back to that...

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, i had not heard that. thatnks for the quick response though. i did some research on it before i started using it but admittedly i did more investigating into whether it worked or not. i'm actually taking it right now but once i finish what i bought i think i'll switch to something else. it hasn't worked all that well, i haven't gotten the rush people have described, but part of that is i'm relatively unaffected by caffeine. i had good results in college stacking NO2 and basic creatine, perhaps i'll go back to that...

Yah, granted though, it may not affect everyone the same way. But, once I found out my liver results, I never went back -- despite the fact it worked well for me.

oxide

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I've seen many examples of people that don't take any supplements, not even whey and make impressive gains just by having a constant good diet.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oxide
Couldn't help it:

Single?

I hope he crushes you like a bug for making that scurrilous remark.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Third, if you really must use a "supplement" (as most people think of it), you can give creatine a shot. It does work, but only marginally. Make sure you don't overdo it, drink lots of water (and don't drink alcohol), and cycle it properly. And, don't use it when you are within the first 6 months of starting a workout regime or already making good gains. It works best to help your body break through plateaus.

I would add avoid diuretics like coffee or tea too.
Not sure about cycling. I thought that myth was gone together with loading.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
I would add avoid diuretics like coffee or tea too.
Not sure about cycling. I thought that myth was gone together with loading.

Cycling is useful to give your body a break, in particular your liver. Many supplements such as creatine strain your liver, and cycling the creatine permits safer long use term.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cycling is useful to give your body a break, in particular your liver. Many supplements such as creatine strain your liver, and cycling the creatine permits safer long use term.
No it doesn't. It could strain the kidneys if anything, and cycling creatine is marsupialed. Go back to the gym.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, the inevitable beasty and why thread highjack. i'm just surprised it almost took 17 hours.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah, the inevitable beasty and why thread highjack. i'm just surprised it almost took 17 hours.

Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware of their rep. I'll just ignore them.

If anyone else has any legitimate questions or comments, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware of their rep. I'll just ignore them. If anyone else has any legitimate questions or comments, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.
So how does creatine 'mess up' the liver? I'd consider that a legitimate comment. Likewise, how does NO-Xplode 'mess up' the liver?

kennyyboy

Reaction score
First, if you have a difficult time eating properly, then consider a multi-vitamin. However, if you do eat properly, then a multi does little good for you.

If your an intensive athlete, no matter how great your eating habits are, you will never be able to take in enough full-range of vitamins. EVERYONE needs to take multi-vitamins. Your body will never be able to take in the sufficient amount that it needs just from the food you eat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads