• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Good Shoes"

shawndo

Reaction score
Greetings all, My fascination with nice watches was apparently a gateway drug into a desire for some nice shoes. The group of people, whose watch tastes I liked, suggested a few brands of shoes, and my search started. I ended up purchasing some Allen Edmonds Milfords in black which I am extremely satisfied with.
Milford.jpg
As this is my only pair of leather shoes, I need at least one more pair and turn to you guys for recommendations. I've read around here enough to know that you guys have more than enough taste and knowledge. What I'm looking for... - Burgandy or a semi-unique brown variation. - As with watches, I want to start out at a "good solid value" before I buy the crazy stuff, So I'm trying to stay under $400 this time around - I think I like as few seams as possible. I think this is called "whole cut" but not completely sure. If that is too expensive, then whatever has the least number of seams - I'm a 9E, so it would have to be a brand that has all the different widths available. (This was the primary reason I chose Allen Edmonds the first time around. They had my size in stock) - Hopefully a place where I can get a matching belt. - I think I prefer those "Monk" straps over laces, seems a little more modern and different. - I want to look at something modern and "young". My style has always been a bit conservative, and I'm trying to update that a bit. I'm looking to wear these to work, but also using for a little bit of NYC nightlife. (I'm in NYC, so I think I'll be able to look at most suggestions in person.) Hopefully that is enough information for some good suggestions..

No Shoes

Reaction score
shawndo,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. I'm in a similar situation where I am just beginning to build a shoe collection. Unfortunately my resources don't match my taste so I've been doing a lot of rummaging around ebay (there's a whole thread on this forum for that). Anyway, I just happened across the shoes below just prior to stopping in at SF. I don't know how you feel about internet/ebay/2nd hand purchases but you can get some great deals in your size. I know I wish these were my size. The seller has some other great shoes also in that size that I bet might just go under $4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-LOBB-Derwen...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, but it de-mystified a lot of the brand choosing process for me. You'll also get some very informative advice and opinions in this forum as well as a mind-boggling amount of resources. I'm sure the others will jump in here with some good recommendations.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...seyOnShoes.htm

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you like both monkstraps and AEs, what about the Mora? On sale at Zappos for $224.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17924265/c/44208.html

The Mora is probably one of the nicest AEs available, so I'll second Doc's rec. but I'll also qualify it. I'm not sure of your second "proper" leather shoe should be a monkstrap, especially considering what your first one was. You need some laces my friend! Your first shoe is kinda "business casual", while the mora would be kinda "flashy dress", but there's a lot of terrain in between. There are some occasions for which a proper leather shoe is needed, but which neither of yours are appropriate. A job interview, say, or a court appearance. I would recommend picking up a nice cheap pair or Park Avenues before moving on to a monkstrap.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has both of the options you wanted. I would probably go with Crockett & Jones though, they are probably around your pricepoint and they have the Weymouth wholecut and Savile monk strap. They also look damn good and are very good quality.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
The Mora is probably one of the nicest AEs available, so I'll second Doc's rec. but I'll also qualify it. I'm not sure of your second "proper" leather shoe should be a monkstrap, especially considering what your first one was. You need some laces my friend! Your first shoe is kinda "business casual", while the mora would be kinda "flashy dress", but there's a lot of terrain in between. There are some occasions for which a proper leather shoe is needed, but which neither of yours are appropriate. A job interview, say, or a court appearance. I would recommend picking up a nice cheap pair or Park Avenues before moving on to a monkstrap.

And I'll second this advice!

shawndo

Reaction score
about buying the shoes second hand. Doesnt the inner sole form to your foot after it has broken in? Or is that just for cheaper shoes ?

I remember putting on someone elses Doc Marten's when I was in high school. I could feel all the ridges of his feet in the shoe! Definitely don't want to do that, if that's the case.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Would this be classified as a 'smart loafer'?

Doesn't look that clever to me

nmoraitis

Reaction score
C&J Handgrades from Plal go for a smidge over $400. Hard to beat them from a look/value/quality ratio.

nmoraitis

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads