• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good shoe repair person in Hong Kong

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of JL Cheslands that need the sole and heel replacing. To whom should I entrust this task please? thanks

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you could try any take them to the place i get custom shoes from i am sure they will do them for you, esp if you name drop! but they are in TST let me know if you want the address!

John Dory

Reaction score
Chochobo: did you end up finding a suitable cobbler to resole your JLs?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I have a pair of JL Cheslands that need the sole and heel replacing. To whom should I entrust this task please? thanks

I'd send them to John Lobb.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I haven't looked into the options yet. Been too busy
smile.gif
The side street cobbler that I would have entrusted my unglued soles to isn't quite up to this, I think. Last time, I had a pair of Hugo Boss boots that were unglued, and he used nails which you can see on the sole - I wasn't quite expecting that
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Ref JL, I'd love to send them to the 'local' JL but I haven't come across one yet. Is there a JL shop in Hong Kong?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif
The side street cobbler that I would have entrusted my unglued soles to isn't quite up to this, I think. Last time, I had a pair of Hugo Boss boots that were unglued, and he used nails which you can see on the sole - I wasn't quite expecting that
smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Ref JL, I'd love to send them to the 'local' JL but I haven't come across one yet. Is there a JL shop in Hong Kong?

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the midwestern US and would have to send mine to Paris.

John Dory

Reaction score
From the renovation boards on the Mandarin Hotel, it looks like a JL shop will be opening there next to Ferragamo. So perhaps you can take your JL there and they can send if off for a resole back at the JL factory (once Mandarin reopens).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
smile.gif
smile.gif

your JL soles are glued? i thought JL does not cement or glue their soles.

also, for your glued boss shoes, wouldn't nails be a better substitution to a reglued sole?

just curious, thanks!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, the Hugo Boss shoes had glued soles. That was back in the day when I thought Boss shoes were high quality
smile.gif

John Dory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Dory
From the renovation boards on the Mandarin Hotel, it looks like a JL shop will be opening there next to Ferragamo. So perhaps you can take your JL there and they can send if off for a resole back at the JL factory (once Mandarin reopens).

Sorry, forgot to say that that's the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif
smile.gif

These Hugo Boss's came unglued again yesterday - so they're going in the bin. I seem to derive some perverse pleasure in getting shot of my pre-enlightenment clothing purchases
smile.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you should burn them and make a mini movie out of it
crackup[1].gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Look for Mr. Wong on the little lane where all the cobblers are off Pedder St, Central. His number is 2522 9624.

Finally, I got the chance to drop my boots off with Mr Wong. The cost of resoling with new heels too is about 42 usd which isn't bad. He recognised them as Lobbs straight off which is encouraging. I'll update when I get the shoes back.

As an aside, I also dropped off a jacket for reweaving repair on the sleeve - 20usd for two small holes. Again, I'll update.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, give me all the shoes u dont want, i'll make a mini movie of making a perverse shoe bonfire

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads