• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good shoe designs for wide feet?

gswearengin

Reaction score
Ye style gods,

I am looking to buy some new shoes to wear with suits soon, probably in a light orange-brown/cognac and very dark brown or deep red color. I have pretty wide feet, but have never bought wide shoes before. I think it's time to just accept it and deal with it, rather than living a life of shame and denial. I know the preferred look is narrow and very sleek, but that just doesn't work for me. I tried on a pair of Allen Edmonds Eastons in 11EEE yesterday, and while they fit well, they just didn't look right.

So, having accepted my wide feet, I am now looking for advice on shoe styles that will complement them rather than accentuating them. I am currently focusing on AE, but that doesn't mean that I won't consider anything comparable/better in a similar price range. My thoughts are that things like a cap toe and broguing may help to complement/diminish the effect of the overall shape of my foot. I am currently leaning toward the Strand in walnut, but need to find them in my size and see what they look/feel like on my feet before I decide for sure. Also need another style that would work well in a rich, dark color.

Any suggestions, either for particular models or just shoe styles in general?

Thanks,

GS

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It partially depends on where your feet are wide. Different last shapes fit quite differently. It might be worth tryning Claus's site http://sizeadvisors.com/shoes/ and feeding in your measurements.

There are styles that have a wider midfoot, yet aren't rounded in style, but it depends on where your feet are wide.

Xenon

Reaction score
Like previous poster said, where the width is matters. Is it at ball, heel, toe, ect.

That said in a very general sense I find that the appearance of width is diminished when there is a transition from side to side. For instance with wide feet a wholecut will apear wider compared to a longwing despite identical absolute widths.

Also the longer the shoes is relative to its width the less it will appear wide. The variation for a given foot size will occur at the toe box You have to be careful though to make sure they are not too long in propoartion to the rest of your body

Caveat: Shoes with long pointy toe boxes will not get much love here on SF as they are considered more fashion forward.

gswearengin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Semi-hijacking. What about wider toe box with "normal" heel? Who makes that shoe?

Not hijacking...that's exactly what I'm after!
smile.gif
thanks for the replies, guys.

GS

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've heard the Barrie Last and the C&J 366? last have that feature, but I have no personal experience with either as I wear a small size and there's only one retailer who carries Alden and I don't want to go in, try on shoes and not buy anything.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you pain. I wear 4E running shoes. Neither, AE, Alden, Church, etc. fit.
One last from Ludwig Reiter in Vienna works for me. My shoes from them are three
eyelet derbies. Massimo Bizzocchi in New York caries some of their shoes at a huge
mark-up. You may wish to contact them directly. They speak perfect English:

http://www.ludwig-reiter.com/english/contact.html

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend darker colors -- dark burgundy, dark brown -- in the usual tradition styles. If you don't like how wingtips look, look at plain toe bluchers, chukkas, etc.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Semi-hijacking. What about wider toe box with "normal" heel? Who makes that shoe?

That's pretty close to what I need as well: narrow heel and widish ball. TBH I think we are all out of luck in RTW. When I get a shoe that is the right width my heel is way too lose.

I think the closest solution for all of us is a shoe with a high instep since the extra volume will shift to accomodate the extra wideness of the feet. It works somewhat for me.

gswearengin

Reaction score
I am definitely planning on getting either a dark brown or deep red along with the cognac. I have thought about the McAllister in Merlot (again, using AE for reference) but worry that they may be too similar to the Strand. I have never really been a fan of wingtips, but I do think they look really good in that color. Maybe if I decide to go with a simpler shoe in cognac and/or can't find a nice really dark brown shoe that I like.

Thanks for the tip on Ludwig-Reiter, Comrade. The 3E seemed to be plenty wide, but I live in Germany and they have a shop in Cologne, which is not far away at all. I might have to check them out soon. Any idea what they tend to go for in Euros? I couldn't find any prices on the website. Beautiful looking shoes, though.

Thanks,

GS

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling