• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good roll on luggage? something quality, durable and at a decent price?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never really did a lot of travelling and now have a bunch of trips upcoming in the next few weeks... All I have is nice leather/canvas "overnight" bag that I will prob use as my carry on.... but I also need a good travel bag/case. Looking for something that is durable (prob. hard case?), lightweight, and of good quality... willing to spend a little to get these things but dont wanna drop a ton

I remeber I was looking at Titan back in the day when Gilt was having a lot of sales.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tumi, when it was still made in the US. I have one that my wife is currently using. I've had it for 15 years...abused the hell out of it, drag it by the extended handle up and down stairs, bounced the wheels, scraped the bottom on cement sidewalk, used it as a seat.....

My current rollon is a Filson. I've had it for 3 years. I'm abusing it like I did to the Tumi. So far, so good.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tumi stuff just seems like it would be overpriced, like you said, maybe when it was being made in the U.S. it was better prcie/quality ratio... the Rimowa stuff looks awesome but wayy more than was looking to spend.

No longer got a Costco membership so thats out...

What are your guys thoughts on hard case vs. soft and also what is the right size to get that meets airline regulations? I am quite clueless about this stuff.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are probably 25 threads that deal with this.

briggs and riley

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

briggs and riley

I got a 21" expandable upright roller from Briggs and Riley on sale from Rue La La for around $230 shipped. Awesome luggage. Have used it on half a dozen business trips and a few cross country flights. Still looks and works beautifully. Lifetime guarantee seals the deal.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Rick Steves line rollaboard from Kiva. Inexpensive ($130), durable and lightweight, 2 pounds lighter than the Briggs and Riley.

Last edited:

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
I travel almost every week, sometimes multiple times a week and have for years. Believe it or not, I am currently using a Travelpro Crew7 21" rollaboard I bought last year. I have several nice Hartmann belting leather rolling cases I loved and had no problem with ever. But for the bucks, the Travelpro works great. I've been on 77 flights this year and probably only checked 3 or 4 times. The rest has all been the Travelpro.

xpress

Reaction score
I've been using the Tumi Vapor Extended.

I'm sure it's not up the the old "Made in the USA" stuff, but I absolutely love it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

briggs and riley

There are 25 threads but truly only one brand at the top (B&R), the rest depends on what you like and whatnot but for frequent travelers I'd say go with B&R and stop there.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a full set of Victorinox NXT 4.0 and I am always amazed by the quality whenever I use them. I would highly recommend them and you can find them for a pretty decent price once in a while.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Getting kinda tired of seeing Rimowas, they're nice looking in aluminum but they've become such a status symbol for ****** looking Asian people in recent years that they're the LV of luggage (if that were possible in some alternate dimension) now. Just really despise them as the carousel goes around nowadays. I travel only moderately and don't really pack anything, so I've never invested in great luggage. If i had to, I'd probably buy Zero Halliburtons. I had a set of Samsonites before when I was going trans-Pacific 2 or 3 times a year, and they broke. Zippers broke, wheels broke, etc. Now I have a black Muji case that is in plastic covered in ballistic nylon, generic but ridged for pleasure, I think it was about 20,000Y. It's not huge but it holds a week's worth of judiciously packed stuff, fits in most cars easily (I take taxis everywhere I go and they often have a bunch of *********** trunk in Asia). It's got 4 casters and a decently tall handle, I will be using it tomorrow to go to Seoul actually. I bought it a year ago and it's probably logged about 50,000 miles, is holding up pretty well. Looks good for the wear and everything works still.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody owned and can compare TravelPro to Briggs & Riley?

My TravelPro now has about 400,000 miles (that's like one month in Globetrotter land) on it and is finally showing wear. For the price it's been excellent.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a 21" expandable upright roller from Briggs and Riley on sale from Rue La La for around $230 shipped. Awesome luggage. Have used it on half a dozen business trips and a few cross country flights. Still looks and works beautifully. Lifetime guarantee seals the deal.

I saw the 20" Widebody at costco in a chocolate brown color for $189. would have gotten if it were the black or olive/tan version.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw the 20" Widebody at costco in a chocolate brown color for $189. would have gotten if it were the black or olive/tan version.

I have the brown and I love it. It's understated yet stands out from most luggage you'll see. I also rarely wear black shoes/accessories anymore so the brown fits in better with most of my outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads