• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good quality black derbies for less than £250?

lsquare

Reaction score
I'm currently in London and will be here for about 3 more weeks. I'm looking for a nice pair of black derbies. It should be stylish and modern. My budget is about £250 and would prefer to spend less than £200 if possible. Does anyone here have any suggestions on a pair to get?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, if you don't mind buying seconds, why don't you search for "factory" "Seconds" "England" combinations on this site?

As I understand it, even the better brands - C&J for example - do sell seconds at deep discounts at their factory stores. I haven't been to London, but if I go, that is what I will try.

Heck, if you do try it, report back to us on what you discovered.

See this thread, although it is from 2006.

Linky.

lsquare

Reaction score

OP, if you don't mind buying seconds, why don't you search for "factory" "Seconds" "England" combinations on this site?

As I understand it, even the better brands - C&J for example - do sell seconds at deep discounts at their factory stores. I haven't been to London, but if I go, that is what I will try.

Heck, if you do try it, report back to us on what you discovered.

See this thread, although it is from 2006.

Linky.

Please excuse my stupidity, but what does seconds mean?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself on the A Fine Pair Of Shoes sponsor here and check out the Alfred Sargent Premier Line shoes if theres nothing there for you get over to Herrings and check out their sale shoes im sure theres something on either of those sites. I'm fairly sure they'd deliver anywhere if you speak to them they're both very accomadating sets of people.

Seconds BTW are shoes that have been made with slight flaws and are sold at discount.

Last edited:

lsquare

Reaction score

Get yourself on the A Fine Pair Of Shoes sponsor here and check out the Alfred Sargent Premier Line shoes if theres nothing there for you get over to Herrings and check out their sale shoes im sure theres something on either of those sites. I'm fairly sure they'd deliver anywhere if you speak to them they're both very accomadating sets of people.

Seconds BTW are shoes that have been made with slight flaws and are sold at discount.

What are the slight flaws that you just mentioned? Is it a dent here and there?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are the slight flaws that you just mentioned? Is it a dent here and there?

If you go to te AFPoS site click on a pair of shoes they explain the flaw, i have to say not all of their shoes are flawed some are brand new first quality. Bargains can be had for the seconds and i have a few pair myself and after a while the flaw is unnoticable, sometimes its unnoticable from the beginning.

lsquare

Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking here, should I even consider buying shoes here in London instead of NYC? VAT (sales tax) in the UK is 20% and even though some stores participate in the VAT Refund program, I still don't get back all 20% because stores/refund centres want their own cut so on average I'll get back about 10%.

Are there certain brands that are only available in London and or have better prices in London relative to NYC?

Pendulum

Reaction score
£12 return train fare to Northampton, plenty of factory shops for Church's, C&J etc. there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads