• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good pull-up bar I can attach to my door?

yeayea

Reaction score
http://www.yourstoreonline.net/(S(13...FQINPAodvBpFEA

I have one similar to this one that works well. I found mine online for only $14 but I cant recall where.

It sits in the door frame and does not require any screws or permanent attachments to the door. It might scratch the wall above the door when taking it up and down if you are not careful, however.

kjparfekt

Reaction score
does that just sit on the door frame? it seems crazy that a door frame could hold 200lbs and not just rip to the ground. at my last rental apartment I had one that screwed into the frame ordered from walmart or amazon.com (not sure which of the two) for about $15. That definitely looks like a better solution as I know I left some big screw holes in the door frame at my apartment.

yeayea

Reaction score
it sits on the door frame, but the frame does not support your weight.

instead the frame acts as a hinge so your weight is projected horizontally into the wall. its pretty neat how it works and if i wasnt an engineer i would have no idea (i guess 5 years of school + a masters degree werent wasted after all!). took me a minute to figure out and it still amazes me when i think about it.

mikej77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
http://www.yourstoreonline.net/(S(13...FQINPAodvBpFEA

I have one similar to this one that works well. I found mine online for only $14 but I cant recall where.

It sits in the door frame and does not require any screws or permanent attachments to the door. It might scratch the wall above the door when taking it up and down if you are not careful, however.

+1. I have it and it works great. It is nice not to have to permanently attach it to the door.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Hmm... that thing is kind of cool.

yeayea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Could you explain more detail how it works? Maybe have some vector diagrams?

Ah, vector diagrams, you know my pain.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, guys. There are those big 'u' shaped pieces. Imagine them like large letter 'L's. You pull down on the short, horizontal part of the 'L', and the top of the 'L' would tend to tilt towards you. But, it can't, because it is against the wall above the door on the other side. So, instead, the 'corner' of the 'L' tends to go away from you, but it can't because those arms sticking out from the sides, and that 'away' from you motion is transferred directly into the wall, rather than down.

Is it common for Masters' level engineers to not use punctuation? No offense, I just find it odd and surprising.

Regards,
Huntsamn

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Is it common for Masters' level engineers to not use punctuation? No offense, I just find it odd and surprising.

Regards,
Huntsamn

smile.gif

dapperdude

Reaction score
WARNING:

I've been using one of those things that sits on top of the door frame and it's nearly ripped out the top of the frame, plus it's scratched the sides and where it makes contact with the wall above the frame. I'm definitely going to lose part of my security deposit.

I think the one that screws in might do less damage.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
smile.gif

Meh. I'm not stupid enough to criticize spelling....

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Meh. I'm not stupid enough to criticize spelling....
But obviously rude enough to let loose with disproportionately nasty retorts. Pointing out a pseudo-irony hardly merits being referred to as 'stupid.' Nice signature.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pull-up bar? Please. G.O.B. knows how real men exercise.
arrested-development-segway.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
But obviously rude enough to let loose with disproportionately nasty retorts. Pointing out a pseudo-irony hardly merits being referred to as 'stupid.'

Forgive me. That was not my intent.

I did not intend the 'stupid' to apply to you at all, in fact, I meant it to apply to me in the same jest as your smiley. The joke I was making at my expense would have been more explicitly expressed as "I know that I tend to reverse letters while typing, so I'm not going to make the stupid mistake of criticizing another's spelling when I am quite likely to mess up my own."

In truth, the only reason I did not realize the obvious, and unfortunate, interpretation of my comment was that such an attack would have been the furthest possible thing from my mind. I'm just not like that -- please accept my apology.

Sincerely,
Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads