• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good places to eat in Scotland

durstgt

Reaction score
I'm going to Scotland for a wedding in August and will probably roll a 4 or 5 day vacation onto it. My girlfriend is an ex-pat Scot so she should know the significant places to see, but I'm interested in trying to get some decent food when I'm there. Anyone any places that aren't bib gourmands or Michelin starred, but you think they should be that are reasonably priced (£150-180 for 2 at dinner)?

Any other recs of things to eat, drink, or see would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Any distilleries that are worth visiting would be welcomed too.

caxt

Reaction score
If you happen to stop in Edinburgh I would suggest trying the restaurant located at the Bonham Hotel. The food was excellent as one would expect from a nicer establishment, but what set it apart for me personally were the innovative and interesting ways the chef chose his menu design.

The most standout dish was an appetizer of beef carpaccio and potato salad - while that seems a bit odd, I assure you it worked out beautifully.

I would advise away from european steak houses in general though, while the Scots are better then the English, neither of them can do a filet or rib eye justice.

Cashmoney

Reaction score
Just returned from a week in Scotland. Stunning beautiful country. The cleanest country I've ever seen. Which makes sense -- distilling whiskey is all about the water (just as wine is all about the terroir, so the French tell us).

But the food is pure ****. Astonishingly bad. Wonder into a randomly selected restaurant and you will be served the sort of food you last saw in a grade school cafeteria. I'm not kidding. Canned green beans. Breakfast sausages of such poor quality that if you served them at San Quentin you'd be violating the 8th amendment. Order oatmeal at breakfast and the waitress brings you Quaker Instant -- in Scotland?

You'll want to do a traditional Scottish breakfast -- once. Prepared to be underwhelmed.

And in shops buy some dry oatmeal to bring home. You'll never eat Quaker again.

Isle of Skye has a couple of very good, very expensive fish places. Among the better restaurants in the UK. (I forget the name -- go to Chowhound.com)

In general, in Scotland you should always eat at places owned by non-Anglo-Saxons. Actually this is true throughout the UK outside London. Italians, Serbs, Indians -- they serve food that is far far better than anything the Scots can do.

Not Scot-bashing here. I'm Scot-Irish Presbyterian by background -- the Scots are my people. Love 'em to death. But their food is a ******* nightmare. And the English are just as bad.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
Just returned from a week in Scotland. Stunning beautiful country. The cleanest country I've ever seen. Which makes sense -- distilling whiskey is all about the water (just as wine is all about the terroir, so the French tell us).

But the food is pure ****. Astonishingly bad. Wonder into a randomly selected restaurant and you will be served the sort of food you last saw in a grade school cafeteria. I'm not kidding. Canned green beans. Breakfast sausages of such poor quality that if you served them at San Quentin you'd be violating the 8th amendment. Order oatmeal at breakfast and the waitress brings you Quaker Instant -- in Scotland?

You'll want to do a traditional Scottish breakfast -- once. Prepared to be underwhelmed.

And in shops buy some dry oatmeal to bring home. You'll never eat Quaker again.

Isle of Skye has a couple of very good, very expensive fish places. Among the better restaurants in the UK. (I forget the name -- go to Chowhound.com)

In general, in Scotland you should always eat at places owned by non-Anglo-Saxons. Actually this is true throughout the UK outside London. Italians, Serbs, Indians -- they serve food that is far far better than anything the Scots can do.

Not Scot-bashing here. I'm Scot-Irish Presbyterian by background -- the Scots are my people.
Love 'em to death. But their food is a ******* nightmare. And the English are just as bad.

My friend, your people are decidedly not Anglo-Saxons. Yes, some Germanic invaders settled around the Firth of Forth and became incorporated, but this certainly does not make the Scots Anglo-Saxons. Please reference my screen name.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in Edinburgh the Witchery is quite fun, more for the dÃ
00a9.png
cor/ambiance than the excellence of the food, although the food is decent.

If you are in Fife Anstruther has a famous Fish and Chip place, smart it isn't but it is meant to be the best fish and chips in Scotland. I don't really eat fish, but everyone I have taken there enjoyed it.

Cashmoney is overstating things a bit, but it is true if you wander into any random restaurant off the street you may be pretty disappointed.

I have visited a few distilleries, the experience was not that different. I would suggest finding a smaller distillery, which was a little more fun than a large corporate style tour, or one that makes a whiskey you particularly enjoy.

mrjames

Reaction score
if you decide to visit glasgow then I can recommend stravaigin (trio of sorbet is something I would never have picked, but your gf will pick it and you'll wish you had too
wink.gif
), and two fat ladies which is a very tasty fish restaurant there is also a tiny italian restaurant called Ristorante Caprese, which is pretty unglamorous but great food edit: Ristorante caprese might have been closed due to redevelopment of the area, so if it's still open I highly recommend a visit there before it is closed and relocated to make way for another topman or HMV
ffffuuuu.gif
all of these options will be under budget- Glasgow is pretty cheap to eat out, there are probably expensive restaurants in the merchant city, but it's probably artificial price inflation- the best rated restaurants are in the west end and the centre have a battered mars bar too...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My friend, your people are decidedly not Anglo-Saxons. Yes, some Germanic invaders settled around the Firth of Forth and became incorporated, but this certainly does not make the Scots Anglo-Saxons. Please reference my screen name.

The only thing you have in common with your ancestors is that you like to wear skirts!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The only thing you have in common with your ancestors is that you like to wear skirts!

Not true. Neither my ancestors nor me would ever have a chic take a doggy bag home to her boyfriend.
teacha.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that dinner was totally worth it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
non-sequitur ftw
Very funny, given that kilts =! skirts. Dish it but can't take it, eh?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Very funny, given that kilts =! skirts. Dish it but can't take it, eh?

Nah, i just realized after I poasted that it wasn't actually a non-sequitur bc you were addressing what you had in common with your ancestors, whereas I'd at first just read that you randomly pulled the dinner date card again.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka