• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good outfit for apt. hunting in LA?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am getting my first apt. soon (finally moving out of the hotel), and have some walk-throughs on Sat. (tomorrow). What is best to wear? I want them to have complete confidence renting to me, and, while I don't want to go in looking like a pimp, I'll be in Hollywood, so I want to have that "cool and successful" image, regardless of the truth. I had three thoughts: Gray suit (my "coolest"), white shirt, no tie, black Prada logo loafers (don't have many other times to wear them). Or linnen/cotton chinos, striped dressier shirt, brown Ferragamo lace-ups. And, last but not least, dark jeans, polo shirt, Bruno Magli boots. Or does it really not matter?

stach

Reaction score
All they care about is your credit report.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
roflmao.

I was thinking the same thing.

My response was going to be "A good credit score and a decent job."

mrchapel

Reaction score
During the course of finding a rental, it does not matter what you wear. As others have said, it matters that you have first month's rent, security deposit, and a clear credit report. This is one rare exception where clothing isn't going to have an effect one way or the other. In either case, I'm sure you'll be better dressed than 95% of the managers/leasing officers you'll meet.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can't be a real question.
plain.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wear something comfortable -

Of the three outfits you're considering, I'd recommend the jeans & polo shirt.

Who wears a suit in Hollywood on the weekends? With or without a tie.

Buster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Sometimes I think we overestimate the influence of dress:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=18893

I have to disagree. Assuming that the seller/owner can choose among a few renters, with everybody having decent credit score and a good paying job - you want to leave a good impression. Some people are aversed to certain looks For example, would you like to rent an apartment to someone that looks sloppy - I am not sure. I would assume the apartment would look just like him.
Probably not first on the list of criteria, but I know I considered that when I looked for an apartment.

atomicmrg

Reaction score
I actually am working this summer in the property management business (basically a giant corporate landlord), and I would second most of the responses here. In my experience, potential residents could come in wearing a burlap sack and looking like a complete hobo, but as long as they have a job, a good credit report, and good references, we'll rent to them...

don't stress, just wear something to keep cool in the inevitably scorching heat

Lord Byron

Reaction score
Good advice to avoid the suit. Speaking as a landlord, my opinion is that is does matter how you dress. The reason being that a landlord will look at the way you dress and assume, fairly or not, that your apartment will be maintained in similar fashion. Will I have ants because this guy leaves open cartons of chinese food everywhere? Will he trash the place? Nobody's going to even apply to rent from me without a solid, verifiable source of income and a clean credit report. What we search for in all relationships, business, social, personal, is someone who shares our values. How we dress, especially meeting someone for the first time, is important. You are looking for a clean, safe, decent place to live at a somewhat reasonable price. So are a lot of people. Make a good impression. It may put you at the top of the list for that place you really, really want. Good luck.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buster
I have to disagree. Assuming that the seller/owner can choose among a few renters, with everybody having decent credit score and a good paying job - you want to leave a good impression. Some people are aversed to certain looks For example, would you like to rent an apartment to someone that looks sloppy - I am not sure. I would assume the apartment would look just like him.
Probably not first on the list of criteria, but I know I considered that when I looked for an apartment.

Landlords only care about if you pay your rent on time. It's not like they're going to not rent the place if you have a clean credit report and can substantiate the income. You could look like you were going to sacrifice animals in the apartment and it wouldn't matter unless you didn't pay your rent on time and didn't disturb the neighbors overly much. I am involved in a number of rental properties and even in Orange County, it's still all about the benjamins.

pkincy

Reaction score
Be neat and clean with shined shoes if you wear leather shoes. Have your hair combed and shave before you go.

I want a good credit report, and someone whose appearance gives me some confidence that they won't trash the place. And I will sometimes take the appearance over the credit report.

I have learned that sometimes renters (here in Az most people can afford to buy unlike LA) don't have good credit which is why they are renters and not buyers. That is OK. With a poor (not horrible) credit report I will adjust with a very high late fee that I always inforce. Soon the delinquent renter realizes it is not cost effective to be late every month.

Perry

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only asked because I am a very recent grad, and don't always want to look it.

Avers

Reaction score
You want to project sense of being reliable and stable.

Perhaps you should wear something neutral - like slacks and buttondown shirt? I would avoid any high-fashion clothes.

William

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads