• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good NYC reading rooms?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I'm looking to get out of the house, my first choice for a good reading spot is Central Park. However, sometimes the weather makes this impossible.

Has anyone found any good, quiet, aesthetically appealing reading rooms in NYC? Hidden nooks of particular libraries? Comfortable coffee shops that tend to be quiet? Rooftop terraces? I doubt there will be many replies to this, but worth a shot.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the cloisters might be one of the most peaceful places in manhattan that I know of, but it's quite a trek and obviously you need to pay to get in/it is primarily a museum. mcj's books and cafe in soho isn't bad, if you're in the area take a stroll in there and check it out for yourself....there's that high ceilinged glass building thing down the street from Juliard that has a bar/cafe thing it's usually pretty quiet in there and nice atmosphere. I dunno, I don't know manhattan that well just random places off the top of my head. if you're ever around morningside there's a little terrace thing behind the International House (it's between la salle and 125th, the opposite side overlooks riverside dr) with like a Japanese structure in the center that is really nice. may have to jump the fence to get in, I've done this multiple times though.
lol8[1].gif
speaking of which riverside drive is pretty nice during the day, I feel like there are bunches along there somewhere but it's been awhile.. if you want to be tricky just take a book in a bag with you into one of the many great bookstores in the city, sit down and whip out your book and start reading.
laugh.gif
will keep trying to think of things...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
When I'm looking to get out of the house, my first choice for a good reading spot is Central Park. However, sometimes the weather makes this impossible.

Has anyone found any good, quiet, aesthetically appealing reading rooms in NYC? Hidden nooks of particular libraries? Comfortable coffee shops that tend to be quiet? Rooftop terraces? I doubt there will be many replies to this, but worth a shot.

Obviously the central NY library is a great place to go, especially the Jewish collections room... no one goes in there.

Also, if Central Park is too crowded, try Carl Schurz Park... not only is it far less crowded, but there are benches along the river.

The Frick Collection has a great library and you can sign up for free, but IDK if they let you bring your own book to just read.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
There is a place I used to go to in Riverdale. It is called Wave Hill. Overlooks the Hudson..
Wave_Hill_PIC.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads