1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

First off, thanks! Hopefully for the sake of people that visit this thread, I actually follow through. If I was still single, things would be much easier.

True. But I go around DC looking at ill dressed gentlemen with disgust. Can't tell the quality but fit issues are evident.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

I enjoy dressing in seasonal colors now so much that I can't even see semi-decently dressed people in my building in wrong-season colors and internally cringe. Sigh.

And sorry BostonHedonist, but I was being sarcastic. I used to hear their ads all the time on the radio when I used to actually listen to the radio. Their sales run 24/30 days a month or whatever is the maximum days allowed legally. I appreciate the details regardless though, thank you. I am surprised you didn't get a second coat, 4 shirts and 2 ties for free with your purchase. (Whoops more sarcasm - but truly not in a mean spirited way.)

No hate for you either Noodles.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

[​IMG]

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

If that's the case you should be able to get some quality MTM from WM Fox & Co or if you'd like something sturdier see Edwin Deboise. He comes to DC 4 times a year and offers MTM in the sturdier British fabrics.

Also, most cities have gentlemen that are ill dressed. Please let me know what city has individuals that are consistently well turned out.

5. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Part true and part crap. There are plenty of badly dressed people in DC (a phenomenon that exists in other cities as well) but that in no way means that "nobody" will notice. There are loads of well-dressed people In DC, just as they are loads of badly-dressed ones in NYC.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I like Steed's work (though I am questioning whether I really like drape - personal preference, in no way a reflection on Steed), but their fully canvassed MTM option is going to come to 1200 British Pounds ($1,850 USD) which is Formosa territory and probably a bit out of Noodles' budget for the time being unless he's buying one a year (and he definitely needs a few more suits quickly).

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quick thread highjack:

I've been a fan of Howard Yount's pants for a long time (well, "long" by my SF life standards). And I've never been left out in the cold by him. But then, I've never had any problems. It is, however, sort of shitty that he's able to continue to provide the terrible service he does since he really is the only source of pants at that price point.

With this in mind, I've strongly encouraged Kent Wang to enter the RTW trouser game. He's testing the waters now, having just introduced his first real RTW trouser (the others here carries were pieces from RTW suits). I chose the fabric for this.

Anyway, if it sells well, he'll start carrying a wider selection of RTW trousers. I think this is good for two reasons:

a) it provides this forum an alternative to Howard Yount
    b) Kent Wang has always been super receptive to suggestions. He generally polls the forum before he decides what pocket squares to carry. I'm guessing that the forum would be able to have some say in what fabrics he uses to make trousers should he decide to go through with this.
    c) they're priced a little below Howard Yount; they are made at Kent's good Chinese factory (I believe he uses two), so should be of comparable quality. That being said, KW doesn't have sales while HY does.

So. Because everyone needs another pair of gray pants at some point:

http://www.kentwang.com/suits/light-grey-trousers.html#
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If these sell well, he'll make us more pants.

----

Also, if you guys haven't taken advantage of the fact that KW is giving 20 dollars of credit for pictures of his wares, y'all should. I ended up getting $120 credit total (put towards the above pants)

2 people like this.
  8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I agree with this. Certainly there are people who can't tell the difference between a cheap suit and a good one, but I think a lot of people can. We're not debating the finer points of whether the shirt you wear with a dinner jacket should take say 3 or 4 studs (a point that almost nobody will notice or care about). We're talking about an objectively good quality suit versus a cheap one. People notice (whether they care is another matter).

9. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Zip fly? Sigh.

1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Never liked button flies personally, but I get the appeal. Zip is just so much more convenient to me. Then again, my only button flies have been on jeans; wool might be more forgiving than denim while buttoning. Though I'm willing to bet that if there is enough noise for button flies and he does decide to carry RTW pants, some of those will have button flies.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

RTW leg openings are 7 or 7.5....can't get down with that.

1 person likes this.
  12. Claghorn

You have an actual 30 inch waist (not size, but measurement?) You really are a T! Also, I'll check with Kent and see if it's ok that I start a thread for this or if he wants to use his own thread. I think a dedicated thread might be better (especially if we want to help the direction of any new trousers).

Edit: Oh, I see. I believe these might be wider (that was one of the changes he's made from the existing selection of RTW jackets/trousers)

13. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

You like it murl, the 8"+ width?

14. Claghorn

8 is best. But I like it when my shoes don't look like elf shoes. @in stitches

2 people like this.
  15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

More like a actual 31-32".

I like my leg opening between 8-8.25".

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like my leg opening... Oh never mind.

1 person likes this.
  17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Something to keep in mind with Kent Wang is that you can do MTM for the trousers for $255 for an A fabric.

18. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Dat drop. Murl is secretly a model

19. Claghorn

This is his argument against RTW. But for folks who don't need MTM trousers, that 80 bucks isn't worth it.

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Leg opening too small at 8", I wear between 8.5" and 9". I don't like that it has belt loops. I don't like the low rise. I don't like the zipper. I do like the fabric though. Anyway, there are plenty of brands offering trouser like this. Epaulet comes to mind in the US.

I wonder why no one offers RTW trousers with a slightly higher rise, at least 8.25" leg openings, and side adjusters?