Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kulata

kulata Senior member

I prefer the overall fit of the black suit. The shoulders of the grey is too narrow and the jacket is veering on the short side

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm fully acknowledge that I'm rather a traditionalist, and even though I've several years of judo and kung-fu (and dabbled in some others), I'd never call myself a 'mixed-martial artist' (even if I was still practicing). In terms of watching, I used to like the Japanese K1 tournaments because the rules allowed a bit more space for different style to flourish and it didn't just always devolve to vicious groundwork and people kneeing each other in the face as hard as they could. Unfortunately K1 was bought out by the UFC and I hate the UFC with a passion...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

I still like watching K1 and Muay Thai tournaments when I catch it on TV. UFC bought Pride Fighting Championships in Japan not K1 and Pride had more violent rules such as soccer kicks to the head, kneeing a downed opponent, punches to the back of the head etc. So in fairness to UFC they cleaned it up a bit to the detriment of fans that love raw violence.

Love watching new breed artists such as Jon Bone Jones, Wiedman etc though. It's your fellow Canadian, GSP, that almost killed the sport by smothering every opponent and avoiding full contact.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

"MMA" as it's known is a product of it's rules. If you were allowed to knee someone in the face while they tried to shoot on you it would be a totally different ball game. But that's a *tad* dangerous

I agree with your thoughts though. A lot of the discipline has been taken out of it, as have the spiritual and cultural elements. It's tough to find a good balance though, I did Capoeira for a bit and it was a little too cultish. I think some of the popularity of MMA is that in a good gym you can learn a variety of techniques, whereas a lot of dojos doggedly cling to their old doctrines and techniques which are often ineffective in a fight.

Like I said it's best to find a place that falls somewhere in the middle. You'll find a lot or respect among fighters in the amateur ranks, and those who don't have a target on their back.

In the end any decent practicioner takes what they learn and uses it as means to avoid conflict. I'm tempted to say some of the recent MMA craze has diluted this....but then I remember Karate Kid was made in 1982 and some serious shit went down there.

5. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

GSP is a National Treasure. Like any good Canadian he kills his opponents with kindness, hug after hug after hug

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's sort of next level...

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Re: Fair Isle knitwear.

Last time I looked, this was an international forum. So let's please use the correct terminology. They are jumpers, not sweaters.

That is all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Sometimes I surprise myself.

Wife and I were listening to the jazz station. She asked me "who is playing now?" A tenor sax solo followed by a trumpet solo. I didn't know the music, but it sounded like mid-to-late-fifties post-bop. Great playing, but not recognisably any of the all-time greats - Sonny, Trane, Dexter, Clifford etc. So I just took a punt and named some names: Hank Mobley and Donald Byrd was my guess.

I was right.

I don't even know how I did that. I don't own any recordings by those cats. I do know my jazz though. Feeling rather chuffed right now. (Only about one in ten thousand people would even think any of this was important.)

10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

i get the same feeling when i ID a PS in someone's fit.[​IMG]
    u must be devo about Bennetts lane. i love the piano - Wynton Kelly

11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

PIssed off that Bennett's is closing. But they had a good run there.

Wynton is a bawsss.

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

@The Noodles

I just caught up on this thread and I saw you posted the full fits of your Formosa and their are some trouser fit issues...

I would strongly recommend cuffing the trousers...I think it will help with the drape of the leg and to keep the crease in a good straight line.

Go for the full 5cm cuff...its very good with the neapolitan suit.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I am planning on getting bigger cuffs

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Tried on an incredible DB PRL linen/cotton sc this afternoon. The arms were wayyy to small though.

Are there any recommended brands with slightly wider arm holes? I'm still gaining weight and will probably gain another inch circumference in my arm before I decide to slow down....

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

There's a couple BB fits that should work for you.