• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
You can work on reflexes without sparring. I'd prefer to avoid getting head trauma or a black eye due to an over eager punch. Try it out? A lot of places do open hours for like 10-15 bucks.

Planning on getting in brawls or joining a fight club?
I want to beat the snot out of a someone in about 6 months when I meet him.

I used to box....training without sparring is like being told you can lick a doughnut but not eat it.
^This.

MMA > Boxing
Very true. But I think street fights can be finished if it is between a boxer and an untrained dbag.
My beef against UFC is that when a fight goes down to the ground, it just turns into two guys humping each other. Granted, both are trained fighters so the fights have a higher likelihood of becoming a ground war.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Boxing and fighting are not the same thing.

Also, be cool. :)

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Boxing and fighting are not the same thing.

Also, be cool. :)
ffffuuuu.gif

Then forget boxing and just start a fight club and just fight in my backyard?
lol8[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing is no joke. Many years ago, I took a two-week boxing "boot camp" at a boxing gym in my neighborhood (that alas, has since been gentrified into a trendy whiskey bar). I was tired after the warm-up and exhausted after the session. In a good way.

If you're worried about getting hit in the face, think about taking up BJJ instead.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Boxing is no joke. Many years ago, I took a two-week boxing "boot camp" at a boxing gym in my neighborhood (that alas, has since been gentrified into a trendy whiskey bar). I was tired after the warm-up and exhausted after the session. In a good way.

If you're worried about getting hit in the face, think about taking up BJJ instead.
I think I have ONE basic requirement down. I do 1,000 jump ropes per day*. I doubt that I am fit for boxing.
But I wouldn't mind getting exposed to boxing, even if that means sparring. I know you're a fellow Washingtonian, any recommendations?
BJJ, I know of one legit place in Alexandria. BJJ def rules in real life.

I am finally starting swimming tomorrow but what use is that in a fight LOL.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how people used to only wear linen for shirts? What do people think about linen shirts with tweed? I think the texture is good, better than smoother cotton shirts, when wearing tweed, and if you wear a sweater or something it's obviously warm enough.

akoustas

Reaction score
32 isn't too old. The only issue is the conditioning regimen. If you can go frequently enough you'll see great results. But it may get frustrating if you drop in now and then, and the workouts don't get any easier.

Muay Thai or kickboxing are great as well because you work your abs a lot more with the kicks (though a proper boxer uses them too when he/she punches)

I find the best way to handle sparring now (since I can't go into work with a black eye) is to go full tilt but hold off on the heavy shots to the head. Showing someone you can knock them out is just as well, and it means more control on your punches anyways.

Overall it's up to the attitude you have going in. If you really want to do it, are prepared to get a few bumps and bruises, are prepared to work your butt off and put with up with a smelly gym then you'll have a fantastic time. Just be sure you choose a place you're comfortable with, with teachers and students who respect one another.

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
Just to add to that. A sign of a good gym is one that has a few women. It usually means the guys there have a modicum or respect and that the environment is comfortable (not a bunch of maniacs). From what I've experienced, the gyms with the best fighters are always the ones with the tightest grip on proper conduct.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Thx @akoustas for the insights. I am sure there are plenty of boxing and BJJ gyms around here. I will make sure that they're not after school gyms, as many TKD places have become...shamefully.

akoustas

Reaction score
@noodles hahaha I don't think there's an adult TDK place in North America anymore. My fiancée is a third degree black belt and unfortunately it came as a bit of shock when she realized that fighting with your hands down is probably a bad idea
facepalm.gif
I think the Olympic rules ruined a lot of it.

But to that point, she trains at my gym and loves it. I hope you can find one with a positive vibe, just don't take the Formosa there after work...
wink.gif

mdancel

Reaction score
I've been trying to educate my self on how suits should fit. I'm trying to determine what is a good shoulder dimension for me and a good jacket length so that I can take a tape measure out when I am out suit shopping.

After reading here a bunch here It seems like these two suit jackets fit me best. Just for reference I'm 5'8" 165 with pretty short muscular legs and a skinny upper body (I'm a cyclist).

To my novice eye it seems like the shoulders of the gray suit and a jacket length between the black and gray would be a good start.

Thoughts? Any good natured input on shoulder size and jacket length would be much appreciated.

Black Suit - I know now I should have purchased Navy :(

Gray Suit

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off-topic, but I have to say that I don't really like the current craze for MMA and the way it seems to be displacing other forms of martial arts with longer lineages. The origins of such things were amongst people who had trained properly for years in different styles of martial arts, and wanted to test themselves against other systems or those they would not normally encounter in competition in their own style. Increasingly, however, as MMA has become a 'thing in itself' it just seems to be attracting more people who aren't interested in the discipline and the other (non-physical) aspects of any particular martial art ,or its years of history, and a lot of it is just dudes who like fighting. IMHO, I prefer the versions of MMA that are about the individual, intelligent and flexible combination of different styles based on significant training and study in each - rather like Bruce Lee's approach to things.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Off-topic, but I have to say that I don't really like the current craze for MMA and the way it seems to be displacing other forms of martial arts with longer lineages. The origins of such things were amongst people who had trained properly for years in different styles of martial arts, and wanted to test themselves against other systems or those they would not normally encounter in competition in their own style. Increasingly, however, as MMA has become a 'thing in itself' it just seems to be attracting more people who aren't interested in the discipline and the other (non-physical) aspects of any particular martial art ,or its years of history, and a lot of it is just dudes who like fighting. IMHO, I prefer the versions of MMA that are about the individual, intelligent and flexible combination of different styles based on significant training and study in each - rather like Bruce Lee's approach to things.
MMA in it's infancy was about one style of martial arts against another style but unfortunately BJJ won everything and that started the evolution to where we are now. So blame BJJ and the Gracie family for killing the original sport. I love MMA in whatever form, it's the next best thing after world cup soccer in my world.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to box....training without sparring is like being told you can lick a doughnut but not eat it.

I'm pretty sure he's doing it for fitness. It's probably a good thing too. I'm not sure noodles would be able to decide whether or not he wanted to hit someone or where he would hit them. It would be like groundhog day except he'd end up knocked out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads