1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

You're thinking is correct. The consensus here is that 8-9 cm. is about the sweet spot, so roughly 3.25-3.5 inches.

2. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I just ordered the green-white stripe Vanda tie in 3.5" x 53". All the Hober's I've ordered are 3.5" and I think I like the width, but what are the considerations for going a quarter inch smaller.

3. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I think for shorter people (and I number among them--as do you, I recall?) it's a negligible difference. One could try to match tie width and lapel width, but a quarter of an inch isn't a huge difference for that purpose.

Taller men, particularly those with squarer shoulders and fuller chests, really benefit from the extra width in terms of proportionality.

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Same here. Had to cut my food intake by 2/3 to lose real weight. Also, as you get older it gets harder. (no penis joke plz)

See below. That is the green I was referring to. :)

5. Slh

Slh Senior member

genetic is also important. My parents and grandparents are all skinny ( a little less than when they were young) and I'm 5ft7 at 125lbs :uhoh:
    Luckily I gained some pound in the last year because I was 110lbs before. I don't do any sport and I sit in my ass all day.
    Fresco is hairier than hopsack. The problem with fresco is it can be worn only in summer. Also it doesn't work well with flannel.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Fresco can be worn year round in a 60F-90F climate. Might even be too hot for 90F. I'd go for half lined Fresco, would be much more comfortable than hopsack in those temperatures.

1 person likes this.
  7. Slh

Slh Senior member

Fresco texture doesn't go as well as hopsack with flannel

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Why would you be wearing flannel in such a climate? I'm assuming you're talking about flannel shirts, because a flannel suit would be much too warm.

9. Slh

Slh Senior member

I'm talking about flannel trousers. There are days when the temperature drops at 55F which is for us, cold.
    And we wear flannel trousers. I'm looking to commission a jacket and I think hopsack would be nice because I like the texture and it is suited for the temperatures here. Ideal for the summer and ok for the winter when worn with flannell trousers. Fresco texture doensn't go well with flannell trousers.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

:lurk:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. AlmostSmart

AlmostSmart Senior member

No, not the clown! But you love the attention! [​IMG]

12. The Noodles

[​IMG]

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

How can you be bored and work and still be too tired to do something after? I'm always looking forward to the end of the day, so I can go for a walk along the Thames with my girlfriend, maybe go for a drink or a quick dinner, catch a movie, workout together, etc.

14. europrep

europrep Senior member

I am trying out the no eating between 8pm-12pm besides a piece of fruit in the AM. Also drastically cut my beer and wine intake in favor of Tequila drinks. Makes for a lot less hangovers in general and the body feeling like crap from all the carbs and sugars.

15. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

@The Noodles I do highly recommend cutting out diet soda. I did so a few years ago and am very happy with the decision.

2 people like this.
  16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've cut all beer, and max one glass of wine. Drink plenty of whisky and bourbon though. The calories and carbs in a pint of beer are just not worth it. Light beer tastes like crap, and the craft/microbrewery beers are usually high calorie.

17. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

That's pretty intense. Do you sleep from like 8:30 PM to 11:30 AM?

18. The Noodles

[​IMG]

19. The Noodles

[​IMG]

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Oh man, that's too bad. Nothing worse than working hard at a job you don't like. Hope you can figure something out! Luckily it's Friday!