Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Have to say I have never seen that brand name over here. And I have looked around a lot. Are you certain they are actually made in IDS and it's not just a marketing name? This, plus the name could also be Malaysian (same artificial bahasa roots). Let's do some research. ;)

PS: Googled. So they are in fact IDS made, probably in Bandung (not Jakarta), now to find an outlet in Jakarta...
    Keep you posted.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'd say some of their cuts, such as the lazio, sienna or la spalla are a hell of a lot nicer than those zegnas. They'd also be perfect for your body type. Most fabrics are from very reputable mills, s120/s130/s140 and have lots of surface interest, not those shiny zegna fabrics. All of the cheaper suits are half canvassed, while the more expensive line is fully canvassed and has a lot of handmade details. Lots of people on here wear it, clarinet player, timotune, steffenbp, myself, etc.

Starting at $459, you can see them as a suitschool. Try a couple of different cuts and fabrics, see what looks good on you and what doesn't in the comfort of your own home, and return for free what doesn't suit you.

It'd be good for you to get a little outside of your NM comfort zone.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you can, they are excellent shoes. Probably not on par with AE in terms of durability (the soles aren't quite as good) but are better than they in finishing and design as well as QC.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's pretty much the doctor's prescription; welcome in! :)

As modelled by the splendid Mr Braddock. It is at the casual end for a staple, this is true, but it is also very nice indeed.

You are a long-term project. After the suits we will work on your mind and then raise your children. Fear not.

Do not do that! Impulse kopping of labels you've heard are great (even if they ARE great!) but don't necessarily fit you, is where we started. Put stuff on. Then buy it if it fits. Don't buy it, then put it on regardless of whether it fits.

5. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I'm so with you in all this, mimo. 《big thumbs》
    Exception possibly suitsupply. Given their logistics and nice looking stuff, I'd give that a go for suits/scs.

As for that nmwa formosa. It looks great but the low quarters are very open IRL compared to look on the site. If one likes it, fine.

6. timotune

timotune Senior member

so much + 1

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I agree - because he can walk right into SS in Washington, as he has, find a fit that suits him, and get it tailored too if need be. Then he knows exactly where he can stack up some reasonably priced decent suits with minimal worry. I don't know how the Formosa would fit Noodles, but I do know that dropping $2k on an un-tested suit because it looks good on someone else is extremely foolish.

I meant to quote MF too. Now that Noodles appears to have found a cut that looks decent on him, it's a great reference point and you can't argue with the price.

8. timotune

timotune Senior member

even SS's MTM-programm would be much cheaper (and better imho) than overpriced Zegna stuff.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rudals. Go to Georgetown with your fiancé. Make a date of it. Try on all the fits. Explain to her why things work and don't, impress her with your growing expertise. Snap some pics. Have a nice lunch. Post here.

Not a bad Saturday AM. And you have the rest of the day.

Their MTM is good
    If you have no major issues in terms of fitting. MF reports that their options have grown in terms of details. Ask about that.

I think Potterybarn is the better analogy than target, using furniture as the basis.

10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I like Potterybarn.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

FTFY

(His fiance is nearer to me than to him at the moment).

And Rudals. SS would be a good place to experiment. Pottery Barn is an excellent analogy. SS has solid construction (half canvassed) and generally uses good fabrics. And it consistently looks good when worn correctly.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

People think I went to NM because I liked it. I just didnt know any better and since I wanted a quality suit but did not know how to buy one, I just went with the most expensive stuff thinking they are the good ones. I am now officially done with NM. So I will try the SS in Gtown and then go visit Mr. Fields while I am in Gtown...if he lets me in.

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

She and her family just moved to Seoul. Say hello to her of you see her for me. She'll be here in April.

14. mothon

mothon Senior member

I also recommend SS.

What about KW MTM?