1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Overall looks pretty good IMHO. Jacket could stand to be longer and a little roomier. And try pulling the tie knot up a tad.

2 people like this.
  2. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

What I've learned from the Alden thread in these situations is that the correct answer is both!

Seriously, though, I agree that they both can work for you. The first time I chose thick, bold frames was a big step for me--I was terribly conscious of the fact that I was wearing bold frames. It was a look that I ended up really enjoying, and if I hadn't broken them I would still have them in my rotation 20 years after I got them.

And that brings me to the point I wanted to make: it's OK to have a rotation of specs. If your prescription doesn't change much, you don't even need to get new lenses in your old frames. Too often, I find, people get new specs and completely discard the old ones. When you have a few pairs, you can choose them based on what you are wearing, either pairing to the frame color or, more likely, to the look that the frames project.

1 person likes this.
  3. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@Darkside , that's a great first effort. Suit fits well, everything is the right length (including IMHO the jacket - ok, it could be 1-2cm longer but it's fine as is). Lapel gorge is very high indeed - that's fashionable now but may not stand the test of time. Tie choice was appropriate for an interview, but you could lash out a little more here next time. Add a crisp folded white linen square and you have CBD nailed.

@masaccio , I wish I could afford both. Well, actually I can afford both. But I can't afford the suffering my darling wife would inflict upon me.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

As Pingson said, its really all about the facial expression. In any case, the second frame looks much better to me, but that pair is too big. You need that style and shape but a smaller size.

5. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

You're kidding. The most prominent feature, sitting on your nose, and you consider to skint.

How about these?
    http://lindberg.com/showroom/men/now

1 person likes this.
  6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Where is the suit from, Darkside? Like Unbel said, not bad at all.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@Coxsackie , I have multiple pairs of glasses from a really simple pair of black gucci rectangular frames that I wear for interviews and important work days, to a pair of crazy giant tortoiseshell frames. I like having multiple pairs and I view them as an accessory. I'm not sure I'm sold on either of these tbh.

1 person likes this.
  8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Cox -- I think your eyes sit too close to the tops of both those frames.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like the second pair more too fwiw.

Darkside that looks pretty good to me.

2 people like this.
  10. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

These are better than the ones you modeled Cox, in my humble opinion. Looks lke you might suit smaller frames too.

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Those looks nice to me too.

12. ridethecliche

I like this kind of style:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (minus the math signs for cox)

1 person likes this.
  13. ridethecliche

Why the eff am I even posting... I'm pulling an all nighter at work!!!

ARGHHHHHH!!!

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Wow, great response from everyone. Appreciate all the comments, positive or negative.

I have a rotation of about four pairs of specs already, so this was a discretionary purchase; driven in part by opportunity. You see, in Shanghai you can get incredibly cheap prescription lenses. I favour "progressive" lenses, which cost minimum US$500 back in Oz. Here they are about US$150. But one does need a set of frames to put them in.

I just happened to walk past a little retail booth near my hotel which looked to stock a pretty fashion-forward collection, so I tried a few on and thought, yeah, why not. I can get Lindbergs back in Sydney and then have a Sydney optometrist put some progressive lenses in and - whoosh - there goes a grand. I'd rather put that order of coin towards a bespoke suit project.

So anyway I ended up buying the faux-Shurons. Caught the metro over to Shanghai Railway Station and dropped in on My Man at the Sanye Optical Plaza. 30 minutes later I had my progressive lenses (which are great) and I'm as happy as a pig in shit.

Not only that. Everybody who's seen them has commented on how cool they are.

Still, you guys are great and this is a legendary thread. Thanks again!

2 people like this.
  15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Universal problem for me, but easy fixed. Just pinch the little nose rests closer together and hey presto, glasses sit higher.

The bridge of my nose is incredibly thin. Blame my Slavic genes!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. ridethecliche

My rx is pretty low and I bought like 3 pairs of glasses from coastal for about 20 bucks each shipped when they had a 'first pair free' offer going on.

I have a pair of giant tortoishell, a rounder one like I posted, and a pair of black frames where the bottoms are thin/metal and the top is thicker.

17. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

^^ Happy endings are the best.

18. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The suit is full-canvas MTM from Andrew Lock, who is actually a SF affiliate. Shirt and tie are Kamakura. According to @europrep, Andrew and Kent Wang use the same manufacturer.

19. Slh

Slh Senior member

I’m looking around for a versatile jacket, something i can wear with flannel trousers and cotton trousers and something I can wear casually and at the office.
    I was thinking about a medium navy jacket with patch pockets ( but welted breast pocket, patch breast is not my thing) in hopsack.
    How would you rate this jacket in term of versatility? Considering here the summer is very hot and the winter mild ( 15C- 60F)

20. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Sounds like a good idea.