1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. I dont like sharkskin. So flannel and then PoW imo.

2. I thinking building staples from SuSu is a horrible idea. You are looking at this completely backwards. Your staples should be the items that are the first things you kop and of the best quality and fit as those are what you will wear most often, and btw, that flannel is a 2/3 season staple for DC. You have enough clothing to get dressed and go to work every day, so buy a staple Formosa, and then sometime down the line buy another. If you want some fun filler suits, then SuSu might be your place, but for staples, you want the best you can get.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

Noodles, we have been through this about 20 times. Buy staples before you buy the crazy stuff. The POW suit is awesome, but it is not a staple and it is not versatile. Just buy the grey flannel from Murl at a decent price and be done with it. Stop making this hard on yourself and just buy a great, versatile suit that you can get a decent deal on (meaning Murl's grey flannel).

3. archibaldleach

Quoting for emphasis but with one caveat. I think it's perfectly fine or him to buy additional staples from SuitSupply as long as he is not in a situation where his core staples are all SuitSupply and his good suits are all less versatile Formosas. A guy like Noodles who is wearing a suit 5-6 days a week can definitely afford to have a couple solid navy or solid grey suits in slightly different weaves.

4. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

That wouldn't stop you from complaining.... ;)

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Actually, someone that I live with asked why I am so darker than her. So I am gonna go for a skin peal!

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

"sigh"
    it must be the kid inside me that wants the flashy PoW.
    Y'all think I am crazy, and you all are probably right.
    But I don't have room to play with solid suits, that's why I am attracted to suits with patterns.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

Agreed, why would you wear your best quality suits the least often? They're the ones that can hold up the best + why buy a nice suit if nobody is ever going to see it? [​IMG]

I have a POW flannel suit that I love, but I can't wear it more than once a week. Since you've gutted your wardrobe it's probably not a good option. Go for the grey flannel at a good price and use the texture to play it up creatively. Bank the cash for a SS sport coat or something jazzy if you want that or use it to fund something next spring.

There's a lot you can do with flannel, the texture will allow you to use a bunch of ties and accessories you usually wouldn't.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

The NMWA PoW is not flashy. It has no third colored overcheck, and it essentially wears like solid a gray suit, and I would say it is even almost to staple. I wear mine all the time with all kinds of things.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1) Commercial posts by non-affiliates is strictly prohibited.
    2) I never saw the video of a guy in a suit skateboarding, so my advertising people have no reason to get on my case.
    3) That is a freaking cool video.

It would be great to get you aboard, of course.

Cheers,

Fok,

11. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Cheers, it was actually more about showing the video itself than the clothes. We will definitely want to be on board come next season (if nothing unforeseen happens).

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The best quality suits don't always hold up the best. That type of value justification is a common part of male consumption narrative. That said, I think that a good flannel is a great starting option. That also said, I think that a nice PoW is actually quite a good staple as well, in the right context.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I did a poll around the office. They all voted for the PoW. Yes, you could say they don't know jack. Maybe I don't know jack either. If I do get the PoW, I can do light blue shirt and a midnight blue tie (somewhere in the Pacific).

I understand you all's opinion on the grey flannel, which is why I am still thinking.

14. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Get the flannel already!!!

Before Noodles tries SuSu please tell him to try this staple 3 piece Cantarelli with Wide lapels

3 piece diversifies your style and Cantarelli is a better brand and with better construction than SuSu and you can put it back in the mail if it doesn't fit. Really 40R guys should consider the suit

Speaking of cars, I just dropped off my bimmer for a service few minutes ago and rode back home in a track car

[​IMG]

15. archibaldleach

Duh. They are voting for it because it looks cool (which it does), not because it is a practical core staple. Last I checked, you have the Galaxy blue windowpane, Formosa blue windowpane and a couple of ill fitting Zegna suits you are beating the crap out of. Do you even own a solid navy or grey suit that is not a Zegna beater?