Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:fistbump:

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

You people scare me. For the love of fresco, please stop treating the streets like a test track. Get thee to a racetrack and do it for real.

Oh, and SLOW CAR FAST FTW.

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I have tried on a few pieces in their London store. Some of the designs are a bit too loud for me, but if Malford is selling a piece you like and at a good price, I'd buy it because the quality is definitely there.

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

On the first point, almost no cars can do that. 0-60 in 3 seconds is the preserve of bikes. And those capable of such wonders are surprisingly cheap.

On the second, no arguments. But again, cornering in a "slow" car as fast as it is capable of cornering, is a delight. As is the relatively slower cornering ability of a bike, because it's inherently terrifying to push a bike anywhere near its limits (especially of the type above - a feat of which I have never been close to capable). I'm sure you're right, though: having a car with exceptional cornering ability is an invitation to permanent grinning. I've never owned one, but a brief loan of a friend's 911 was enough to sell the idea. Hell, my 97 Hyundai Coupe was enough to sell the idea, and that had the power of a one-lunged mouse.

Anyway, this is the advice thread, so: any advice re.V8 SUV? Expedition is cheap (being replaced by V6T next month), a little under-powered in a straight line but surprisingly fun to treat badly. Patrol is a proper off-roader and looks cool, Sequoia has power but too flabby-looking? And my girlfriend likes the look of the new Tahoe. Any expertise here?

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm not a big fan of most US SUV's, they're underpowered compared to engine size and the handling isn't the best.

I love the new Range Rover, and the Porsche Cayenne is a pleasure to drive, but they're also considerably more expensive. The new Porsche Macan is supposed to be pretty good as well. Someone at my apartment building has the Turbo version, and it looked and sounded phenomenal.

If you're looking for off road capabilities, nothing beats a Toyota Land Cruiser.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I drove a car last weekend that goes 0-100 kph (60mph) in 3 seconds flat...so this is not the case...it is however the realm of high performance cars...not your typical day-to-day car.

And while in the last decade this was a thing of amazing feat...as most of the top performance cars were in the 3.2-3.6 second range for a 0-100kph accelation...3 seconds flat and even mid-to-high 2's is now becoming very common.

+1...car is also indestructible

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I was surprised at how well the Expedition handles, but definitely under-powered next to some of its competitors now. As for the ones you mentioned, air suspension, permanent four or all wheel drive and general ladyness are not for me. And the RR is terribly expensive.

The Cruiser is definitely the car for all times. But again, it's pretty pricey, and so popular in this market that discounts are simply never available: they never even have a test vehicle here; 90% of stock is sold before it even arrives. So in a similar vein, I'm thinking Sequoia for the monster engine (same as the top of the range LC, even on the basic model), or the Nissan Patrol for the same kind of capabilities at a slightly lower premium. I know that's only sold in the US in the Infiniti QX56 trim, which adds more nonsense than I'd want.

Anyway, any thoughts from owners would be welcome. I've a test drive tomorrow of a nearly new Patrol, the new Tahoe, and a second go on the Expedition for immediate comparison. Alas, Sequoia now sells like the Landcruiser and even the one in the showroom is sold, so reviews, specs and guessing will be all I have!

Lucky you! But it is an extremely small, exclusive and expensive set of cars in the <3 seconds bracket - majorly 'roided muscle cars, GT racers and Euro exotica. But a used GSXR 1000 is for everyman. :)

What were you driving, anyway?

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Here where I live in the suburbs, I don't see that many Edpeditions nor Excursions. I think they have been replaced by BMW X5s and Benz. No more extra large USBs.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

A Nissan GT-R does sub 3 0-60, and is relatively affordable compared to its competitors, especially on the second had market. If I ever buy a car it'll probably be a 2-3 year old GT-R. My apartment has a parking spot with it, but I don't have the money nor the need for it at the moment.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

GT Racers, indeed, of which I believe the Nissan is not only the most affordable (relatively speaking of course), but one of the best. And personally, I like its understated looks too.

12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey guys, i was going to post this with today's outfit in the WAYWRN, but there's some weird spam/troll attack on that thread, so I'll wait for the mods to clean that up.

Anyway, we shot this video last year but released it today. Since I'm proud as fuark of the result I thought I'd share it with you guys (please tell me if I'm overstepping my limits posting this here @LA Guy).

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Wow. Very interesting.
    Next time, let's just go with sports cars, not skateboards.
    But very nice. Hope the best for you EFV!

14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nah, I'm no car guy. Plus, you can't really show the movability of a suit sitting in a car ;)

15. europrep

europrep Senior member

Tesla will smash all the 0-60 times soon enough for a car in its price range. The question becomes the feel of the drive since you have no gear shifting or lovely sound of an engine.