1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

....@Coxsackie didn't snap or get violent?! [​IMG]

Man, jfrater talks the talk and walks the walk! I hope it was a great experience and hope to see the end results.

2. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

On the contrary he is quite the gentleman!

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Nah, that won't happen until he posts final fit pics and one of us tells him he has some lapel bowing issues

2 people like this.
  4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Don't forget lunch today. I'll bring my wife along if that's ok.

This is probably right. Different pillow may help. But I suggest you and spouse agree on a plan in which EVERY time you start snoring, she is allowed, politely but immediately, to wake you and request that you turn on your side. (She should not push you onto your side - you have to wake up and consciously do it yourself.) This may happen several times, even dozens of times per night; however the chances are that you will quickly learn not to sleep on your back. Classical conditioning: you will be trained to associate the sound of your own snoring with an unpleasant experience (being woken up) and will learn an avoidance behaviour (turning on your side).

If this doesn't work, investigate soft palate/uvular surgery. I have a colleague in NZ who does these in his rooms. Local anaesthetic, then 5-10 minutes' work with a radio-frequency surgical device. Rapid healing, minimal downtime, minimal risk, high success rate.

I know where you live, mofo.

4 people like this.
  5. The Noodles

Thx, Dr. Cox!
    She does wake me everytime I start snoring and I get very irritated. I told her to slap me across the face as I have heard that this method works. Let me try some pillows and the slapping method.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

You have to agree not to get irritated (very important), and you have to remember that when she does wake you, you simply turn on your side. Nothing else.

I strongly advise against the slapping routine. This puts too much stress on her, and she may not want to do it. But she MUST wake you EVERY time you start snoring. For this kind of classical conditioning to work, the stimulus/response cascade must be highly reliable.

1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Remember that time that Noodles instructed that we whip him? I'm beginning to think this might be his thing.

7 people like this.
  8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Amazing correlation: the less time I spent on SF, the more money I have in my bank account.

Then I pop back in here and read about jfrater and it all goes to hell

2 people like this.
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

2 people like this.
  10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

For me, I can easily resist everything at full price. Then all the F/W sales drop and I start getting the shakes.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have been surprisingly resistant to temptation lately. My concern is that a tragic relapse is imminent...

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Then again, she just might ... [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I didn't want to say that.

Noodles, just nix the slapping thing. Better for everyone.

That, or post pix of your welts here.

2 people like this.
  14. The Noodles

Radial blurb makes my migraine worse. Stop it!

@Coxsackie
    She did it. She woke me everytime I started snoring. I started thinking I need to stop snoring to stop pissing off my wife and because I losing sleep.
    Think it should work.

@ ALL
    What the heck does Skid Fu mean?
    Impulsive?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  15. Xposure

Xposure Member

I'm going to buy some more trousers, but need advice on the fit of a pair I received today. Pictures of them in spoiler. (Was going to ask about the shirt fit too, but I don't think the pictures do it justice)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's HY Italian size 34, and it's obviously too tight around the thighs. Can I make these pants fit well if I take them to a tailor, or are they a lost cause? For my next purchase, should I choose the US fit in stead (also size 34)?

16. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

You definitely need a higher rise and a larger size. The USA fit should serve you well. I'd try the 34 and maybe order one size larger to try … check the measurements. I've heard that people order 1 size up in the new Italian fit BTW. I buy the USA in my normal size and take in the seat and waist, but I'm skinny and have no arse. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. Xposure

Xposure Member

I think you're right. Is there anything a tailor can do with my current pair to make them wearable? HY doesn't accept international returns, so I'm stuck with them anyway.

18. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Bummer. :( I wouldn't spend any time or money on alterations. I don't think you'll be happy in the end. I'd try to sell them in the marketplace or eBay. Those trousers would be desirable for someone.

19. Xposure

Xposure Member

True. If anyone's interested, send a PM, it's these in size 34, will let them go really cheap: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/pants/products/super-100s-winter-flannel-light-gray-1

Also, not sure if size 34 US fit will be any good either. According to the site, the thigh measurement difference between the US and Italy fit is only .25 inches. Rise measurement is the same on both fits. Don't know if that's correct though.

20. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

This was the bit I was missing as I read the suggestion and wondered why the waking up part was so important.

When my wife snores, I've always just pushed my hand under her shoulder and nudged her so she flips to her side.

Of course, I'm loathe to wake her because I probably snore more/louder than her and she'll feel free to wake me every night to turn me!