Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Probably looking at the French navy woolen from Fox for the jacket

[​IMG]

Woolens

[​IMG]

Worsteds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@jrd617
    Is the grey flannel Formosa worsted?
    @Murlsquirl
    I ordered 2 Hober ties in midnight blue!

All,
    Asked wife her opinion: navy birdseye vs grey flannel. She was very annoyed and was like here we go again. But she said that the navy birdseye looks too similar to the blue glenplaid and the grey flannel looks better. She said it had a slight navy hue to which I responded by saying she's crazy.

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

BUY THEM BOTH.

they are both staple items.

don't do it behind your wife's back. put your damn foot down and make some sort of agreement/communication with her.

sell it to her that if you get the items that you truly need then going forward in the future you won't need to spend. you are INVESTING in a wardrobe.

and no more of this silly bs flip-flopping your mind and buying things you don't want/need then selling them.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

People really run their purchases by their SOs?

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Nope, but I'll ask her opinion if we're out shopping together. I might not always agree, but I do ask. Nothing wrong with disagreeing over trivial matters like clothing. We both have our own styles, and that's cool. I might decide not to buy something if she truly hates it though, but that is a very rare occurrence.

Noodles, perhaps she's a bit miffed because she feels clothing is getting too important for you? It's a fun and hobby and all, and it's nice to talk about it, but it shouldn't control your life. I suppose just not being on your phone around her should help lots.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

7. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Mrs Doodals, our undercover secret agent :nodding:

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Uh, negative.

9. in stitches

In all seriousness, Noodles, kop this suit/suits, and then take a kopping break, like a month. No new items appearing at the house or sneaking in a package delivered to the office.

SF at work to your hearts delight, assuming you dont get in trouble for that, but at home, minimal. Speak to the wife, agree on a set amount of time, maybe an hour total, and do not exceed it.

Its very overwhelming for the wife of a new SF addict. Dial it back. Dont go cold turkey, that does not work and its not fair to you, you just need to find the happy medium. If you can do that, I assure you that you will find the wife far less annoyed with these things.

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

^
    You'll also find that in waiting and buying quality items you'll derive far more satisfaction than continually stocking on so-so products. I know I discovered that after a few months of overspending. Waiting for one Formosa (and wearing it) is going to be way better than going to SS every other month. The Grey (should you choose it) will offer you countless combinations and is an awesome pallet to work with. You'll feel like a champ, instead of "getting by", and that's what quality suiting is all about.

I took my SO to the tailor for my final fitting and she was blown away that men are lucky enough to get all this custom stuff and attention. Unfortunately she's an enabler now and is working with the tailor on my next commission.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

i think noodles should work a list of what items he needs for his cbd wardrobe and post it for you guys' scrutiny.

12. in stitches

Yes. Thats a great idea. He can do that in 30 days.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I run my purchases past my SO. Why wouldn't I? If she likes something, no problem. If she doesn't, we'll talk about it. Sometimes she'll convince me not to purchase it; other times she doesn't and I purchase anyway with her walking away muttering something about hating suspenders.

I'd never purchase something without telling her I'm purchasing it. That sounds like a terrible idea. I'd be pretty upset if she spent a couple hundred dollars on shoes without having a budgetary discussion about it first.

14. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

As I posted earlier I’m embarking on a new career where I’ll be wearing suits 5 days a week. I’m looking at methodically replacing what I currently have as I grow in knowledge. I’ve mapped out a budget and an overall plan. Thanks to those that gave input on that!

It’s looking like 5 ties for this year. These will be my first ever quality ties. I’ve got a mixture of grey and navy suits (mostly grey and all of which I would like to gradually replace)

I was thinking about these from Sam Hober for the first 5

Navy Blue Reppe Silk Tie #11
    [​IMG]

White Dots on Dark Navy Pin-Dot Silk Tie #1
    [​IMG]

Dark Chocolate Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #5

[​IMG]

Macclesfield Silk Tie #134
    [​IMG]

Dark Burgundy Reppe Solid Silk Tie #5
    [​IMG]

Would this be a decent start to my collection? Anything else you would put in the 1st five purchase? I started with Sam Hober as they seem to get a lot of love on here especially for the price point.

Also I would love to get some input on tie width. How would you go about determining the tie width to order. I am leaning towards 3.25” as I don’t have broad shoulders. I’m 5’8 and around 165lbs and am about a 38” chest.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a solid start. I might throw in a green of some sort. But there is little wrong with that starting 5 assuming it meets your preferences.

3.25 is a good width.