Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Um...I am over this patch hip pocket issue. These are all from B&Tailor and I am not seeing any flaps. I see one or two patch pockets.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Those are besom (or have the flaps tucked in), not patch. But you basically prove everyone's point: you couldn't tell the difference.

Flannel will wear out slightly faster than worsted, but since you're going to build out your suit wardrobe, the issue isn't relevant.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

As an addendum to my comment on the whole "3 season / year round" stuff that gets thrown around and based on where you live Noodles, this is what I'd say.

13-14 Ounce Flannel - Optimal when average high is at or below 60 degrees (November through March). Wearable when the average high is above 60 degrees but below 70 degrees (add October and April)

11-12 Ounce Flannel / 12-13 Ounce Worsted - Optimal when average high is between 50 and 65 degrees (March and November). Wearable when the average high is at or below 75 degrees (October through May)

10-11 Ounce Worsted - Optimal when average high is between 65 and 75 (April, May, October). Wearable when the average high is at or below 80 degrees (September through May)

8-9 Ounce Worsted / Fresco / Wool Linen Blend - Optimal when the average high is above 75 (June through September). Wearable when the average high is above 65 degrees (April through October)

A lighter weight suit can be worn in winter with an overcoat, but your legs are still going to be cold. It's not optimal. Wearing a summer-weight suit in winter, however, is just dumb. I understand why people with mid-weight suits wear them in winter, but that's more a matter of necessity (not having a seasonal wardrobe and suffering accordingly). Point is you live in a climate where a slightly warmer suit is good for almost as much of the year and in fact is better during the colder months. I get that you're not ready for 14 ounce flannel at this point but the one you are looking at seems nice.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Doodals, two points:

1) I don't think that people at your office - or at least 95% - know about patch pockets. Get that Formosa from Murl ASAP!
    2) Did you opened a tumblr? I saw a reblog from a "rudlas1281".

Murl, bulk up so you get to wear 44 jackets, then when you don't want them you can sell them to me. I promise I will not make excuses to buy them. :D

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

I've seen this movie before and Noodles didn't get the flannel suit. :(

Let me assist you with your decision matrix even though we know exactly what you'll end up getting :D

Flannel suit
    Pros - Immediate versatility to your style and wardrobe
    Pros - Immediate availability. Overnight express mail
    Pros - Discounted purchase
    Cons - Limited use year round
    Cons - Casual suit

Birdseye suit
    Pros - Must own suit with a fantastic weave
    Pros - NWT
    Cons - Just another navy suit with a fancy weave and identical to your other formosa from a distance
    Cons - it's not even available

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Let's talk, @Murlsquirl
    maybe I can squeeze this one in NOW and build up enough for the birdseye.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Not a huge fan. I prefer plain metal, brown horn or smoked MOP on a blazer. The combination of metal and stone belongs on cufflinks IMO. I'd also only do smoked MOP on a spring / summer blazer, so depends on what sort of fabric you are getting.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yeah I'm considering buttons on three blazers: a black hopsack sb, navy fresco sb, and brown fresco DB. So far I'm thinking the inlay on the black hopsack, white MoPs on navy fresco, and plain gold on brown fresco.

I already own the black hopsack in case people want to dissaude me from having that at all. I think it works on me, and anyway, I'm just deciding what buttons to have on it because the ones on them have fallen off and were pretty ugly to begin with. I think gold goes well with the brown DB because while I think gold on navy is overly nautical, the color itself looks good it just looks a bit too costumey due to association, and since gold and brown both warmish colors go well together anyway but still have enough contrast, I figured not only would it look good on its own it'd also shed the cliche look a navy blazer with gold buttons would have. The navy blazer I plan on having unlined 3r2.5 and is going to be quite summery so I think white MoPs or similar would look quite good, especially paired with say white chinos or something, but maybe the white would be making it too narrow in use/overly summery and smoked or gold buttons would be better?

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

0 Noodles vs Noodlists 1

11. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Flannel is awesome man, you can do so much with it. Especially with your larger collection of grenadines. I was very apprehensive before I kop'd my first one, but it's a great way to spice up a grey option.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

---

Glad to see you seeing the light, Noodles. Patch pockets have now entered your world, further broadening your options.

13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

That flannel suit is absolutely stunning, but flannel is not so durable in my experience...

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Those B&Tailor pictures are all amazing.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@The Noodles

Nothing wrong with patch pockets or besom/jetted pockets...

Nothing wrong with flannel either. And the weather is getting cold! Perfect time to be getting it

Stop being a pussy and buy that suit from @Murlsquirl :)