Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

Ouch! I'm not surprised by the negative response to the floral ties. It's OK, I've plenty of SF-approved Sam Hober ties to replace them.

However, please recall that I mentioned that my old DBs pictured above are being disposed of and replaced with newer SB suits, albeit in similar tropical beige/mustard and PoW check fabrics. So, I trust you're not objecting to the suit fabrics, which are both classic mainstays. Please note the new suits are intended for mainly tropical use in South East Asia.

Anyway, thanks @in stitches for the frank feedback, much appreciated.

EDIT: (Note to self: as suggested by @kulata consider Spanish white/off white/cream/stone coloured solid fabrics -- instead of the above beige/mustard fabric -- for new SB tropical/summer suit to replace the old DB on left above).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. kulata

kulata Senior member

@BespokeKiwi the individual items are workable but a combo of what you posted will simply be terrible :(

I'd rock those ties with casual suits (Blue, tan, white or green cotton suits ) and loafers all day. I have something against contrast collared shirts and this is just personal preference and I'm not condemning them,

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Lol i love this forum.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

So Doodals is going to have some tequila shoots to prove he wife there are worst things than SF? Lulz! [​IMG]

5. BespokeKiwi

@kulata regarding the ties with 2 piece business suit ensembles, got it. (Note to self: don't do it).

I do agree with you that casual suits/SCs are the way to apply those particular floral ties, if I must. Thanks for the frank feedback, @in stitches too.

The trouble with getting older, is that it's easy to get struck in the past. Moving on...

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Any time. :)

7. BespokeKiwi

Anyway, it's out with the old DB suits...

[​IMG]

... and in with the new SB SC/blazers (and new SB suits too coming soon)...

[​IMG]

New Arrival: I've just received a new SB Neapolitan SC/blazer in jet blue with dark brown horn buttons. Just in time, for spring/summer down under in New Zealand. See picture below.

- Unfortunately, my tailor used the wrong coloured fabric for the tropical/summer half lining. It was supposed to be baby blue not dark blue. So, it will have to go back to HK for adjustment.
    - Also, I noticed the gorges are about a half inch lower than the previous navy blue one (pattern master) they made for me earlier. Damn, that issue can't be fixed without a remake, I expect. Hmm.

Anyway, I will post fit pictures over on the HK tailors thread in the next few days or so. If any interest, then I will X-post here too.

[​IMG]

As noted by @EliodA earlier, I've pretty much got the solids side of my wardrobe refresh sorted now. So, I'm moving onto textures (flannels, birdseye, tweeds etc) and subtle patterns next (e.g. PoW and gun club checks etc) now. A well beaten path, indeed.

I appreciate the frank feedback/advice everyone. Keep it coming. Thanks.

8. BespokeKiwi

@EliodA will do. I'm never too old to learn. Thanks.

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

That was said firmly tongue in cheek...

10. BespokeKiwi

@EliodA no worries, mate. [​IMG]

BTW, my new Neo SC in jet blue above, is my last solid SC for now. I promise. I have definitely heeded your earlier advice and am now moving onto textured and subtle patterned (unlike my vintage floral ties!) SC and suit fabrics now.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Re: those floral ties

- as with any bold ties, 3 piece suits work wonders, reducing the shown surface, toning down the color or pattern

- casual Tira like fits. Cotton/linen. Unstructured

- light colored summer wedding type suits

- in theory, solid suits with solid shirts, to be safe. White linen or squareless. But I'm not a fan.

In general not a fan of such ties, but if one were to wear them, those wold be the directions I'd council.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

My partner loves me having gone to SF, though partially because now we have lots of ties and cufflinks and pockets squares to share. I guess I'm at young enough an age where I don't worry about looking old and if anything shedding some youth is good. Then again Noodles doesn't look old either so I'd be surprised it's that problem.

My partner has a problem with me wanting to get a more aggressive pinstripey more masculine double breasated look though, thinks it doesn't suit me. Might be right idk.

13. BespokeKiwi

Duly noted. Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice. Much appreciated. Cheers Clags.

14. BespokeKiwi

@Isolation ,
    - I just had an amusing vision of you in 10-20 years time -- now a SF veteran old timer -- defending your vintage chukka boots, neat ties and classic Huntsman style cuts to the next generation of SF members, who take you to task for not dressing in the SF-approved manner. [​IMG]
    - There's nothing new under the sun! Everything is waves and cycles, man. The Chinese know that already, better than most.
    - Anyway, this old fart (me) is trying his best to update his knowledge and get up to spend quickly. SF is a great help.

EDIT:
    - Iso, you do look good in solids. For example, your new DB in mid blue, nice! Again, its the "high contrast" appearance thing again, which I share too.
    - Ease your way into textures and patterns
    carefully (go subtle at first) and be prepared to reverse out if it ain't happening for you.
    - Get the basics nailed first, before venturing on into uncharted territory. And, do listen to your partner too, as to what's flattering on you or not.

MOD: apologies for not using multi.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014