Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I think a simple "they are ugly" could cover it in less words.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

2. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@ridethecliche right on, man! If you like them, then get them. They'll come back into fashion, eventually. After all, everything is just waves and cycles you know. [​IMG]

Beneath my own square'ish short back and sides appearance, lurks an old hippie at heart. So, check out my bad boy floral ties below -- large white floral motifs on solid black and maroon backgrounds circa early 1990s -- which I intend to "out" on WAYWRN some fine day. But they're being sent to Sam Hober for a bit of a makeover first.

Yeah, I know neats are de rigour around here at the moment but the suppressed hippie inside of me, just can't bring himself to thrift out his favourite floral ties. He's stubbornly waiting for them to come back into fashion too.

Once again, I'm bracing for incoming (SF flaming) impact!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: Poor spelling and grammar fixed. It's my editor's day off.

[​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Pretty much this. They are just garish and unappealing to the eye of most non mid day Walmart shoppers.

4. in stitches

Interesting point. Though I dont see why young has to equal super trendy. There are ways to dress well, and not look old. Perhaps it looks more "professional" but it does not have to look old.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Well, when the "young" look is so exaggeratedly absurd, anything normal by comparison may look old.

6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I would have bought the one on the left tbh, but I have two similar ones already. I love wearing them in the summer with a cream linen jacket. The one on the left would have gone with that or even with seersucker, I think.

It screams summer tie to me.

8. BespokeKiwi

@ridethecliche yeah, I can imagine your fancied floral tie (the one the left) working well for you, if worn with a cream linen or blue seersucker summer suit. Right on!

I think it all comes down to what ensemble a floral tie is intended to be worn with. A 4-colour floral tie (the one of the left) worn with a CBD suit would be a train wreck by today's standards. However, the same tie may pop when worn with the more casual summer suits that you mentioned.

Whereas, my 2-colour floral ties do combine very nicely with CBD suits, or at least they did -- back in the day. Albeit, not as "neatly" as is the present fashion.

9. in stitches

:(

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I picture a single tear slowly trickling down your cheek, like that old anti-littering commercial with the Native American.

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Gentlemen, please read Stitchy's well written posts on there being objectively bad taste over in the 20+ thread to understand why he is sad now...

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Noodles sold me a suit, so he could say that StyFo is a revenue-generating endeavor. Or just stop sneaking, and surf openly when it's appropriate...

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

I see the floral tie on the left working with this guy's summer ensemble [​IMG]

14. BespokeKiwi

Guys (@in stitches , @EliodA , & @TM79 ) what did I say wrong?

To illustrate what I was saying to @ridethecliche regarding the possible application of my own offending floral ties, I've included a picture of them combined with a couple of old DB tropical/summer suits of mine, which are too big for me now and being replaced with newer SB ones. I appreciate that they're not "neats" but I do think they fall within the bounds of classic menswear. What say you guys? Thanks!

@kulata please feel free to chime in too.

[​IMG]

EDIT: (Note to self: as suggested by @kulata consider Spanish white/off white/cream/stone coloured solid fabrics -- instead of the above beige/mustard fabric -- for new SB tropical/summer suit to replace the old DB on left above).

15. in stitches

In the sweetest way possible, nothing in that picture is good. At least not to me and not to "SF standards."

Maybe the suit on the right is oooohkay, and maaaaybe Tira could do something with those ties, but Id pass on that whole batch.

As I have said many times before though, if that is what you like, I am not telling you not to wear it, what I'm saying is, that as far as what I see SF as being about, that batch is no bueno.

Anyways, the frowny face was aimed at rtc, but your post beat mine in timing and I was too lazy to do something about it.