1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

so you are saying that kwilkinson has more balls than him?

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Do all teh azn wimmenz ruel their husbands like this? No racist.

3. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Unfortunately, it's true.

He needs to go get drunk everyday for a week so his wife knows SF alternatives can be worse.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

Of course, the obvious solution is to not be surfing the web in general when you are out on a date.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Oh, Noodles...

6. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior Member

While Noodles is serving detention, I am interested in hearing opinions on side adjusters (not tabs) for odd trousers. Do you find it overly peculiar to have side adjusters on trousers that would be worn both inside and outside the office? I would prefer versatile trousers that could be worn in either situation...or this could all be wishful thinking.

General info:
    1) Office dress code is slacks and shirt, no jacket or tie.
    2) Plan on wearing mostly flannel, wool, cotton/linen/wool blends for bottom half. Top half would be oxfords, cotton, cotton/linen blends for top block.
    3) The only pants I would wear that are cotton would be similar to RL Officer's. Those I would prefer belt loops.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

I know we like rules and all, but when it comes to side adjusters or belts it only matters if you plan on wearing your trousers with braces. Seeing as you're not doing that, you can go either way.

Personally, I prefer side adjusters, because they look sleeker, don't break up the line between jacket and trousers, and are just a little bit more comfortable. It also saves you from having to buy all kinds of different belts to match your shoes, so it's good for your wallet. Other folks love belts and the way they look, so obviously they wouldn't go for side adjusters. It all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

8. in stitches

Could just be my build but I hate side tab adjusters.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I love belts. Side adjusters without a jacket is lame. My personal preference is the only one that matters.

Noodles Noodles Noodles.....you silly chump.

10. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

11. Monkeyface

I suppose I should add one disclaimer, side adjuster/side tabs look best and work best if you wear your trousers at or close to your natural waist. You can choose to use rustic and darker D rings for more casual or countrified cloths such as tweeds, and the more shiny silver looking side adjusters for city trousers. Or just go for daks/side tabs, which uses buttons.

12. in stitches

Plz to note, I think side adjusters also favor the flat bellied menswear maynes amongst us.

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior Member

These would definitely be higher rise trousers, probably 12-13", which sit right at the hips, maybe above and single pleat. I am 6'2" for reference. Never was a fan of belts so tempted to do away with them. Guess only way to find out is purchase a pair with side adjusters and see how they treat me.

14. Monkeyface

The more portly men should use braces. I suppose wearing a belt isn't exactly comfortable? I remember my dad always hated wearing belts, and he is on the heavier side.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

I have odd trousers with both belts and side adjusters. I see nothing wrong with either, with or without a belt. Depends entirely on what you are comfortable in. Personally, I tend to prefer side adjusters and a slightly higher rise. I mind belts less to the extent that I intend to wear the trousers sans jacket regularly.