Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I just gave up. 1 week to shorten sleeves or a simple alteration at $100 plus.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Welcome to London. Everything is incredibly expensive here. 2 cocktails at a relatively nice place? $50!

I was able to get by easily on my salary when I was living in NYC for a month, I didn't have to think about going to restaurants or bars or taking a taxi. Here in London I seriously need to watch my money, and it's not like I get paid badly for my age.

3. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I recently went on vacation: 4 days in London, 9 days in Greece. 70/30 split on the budget oooooosh. I just kept imagining the sterling pricing was in dollars to get me by.

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I want to move back to Korea. Everything is instantaneous! Shortening sleeves took like 10 minutes right there at the store! Food is cheap and transportation system is great and cheap!

But I don't think I will be able to find a job there as a CPA.[​IMG]
    Also, home prices are similar to NYC or Tokyo.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

1 suit per size? Woah. That's nuts!
    That's hilarious. I get alterations done at a dressmaker here and all of that would probably cost 70-80 bucks TOPS. More likely 60.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Alternatively, he can start rock climbing, which is a lot more fun than doing pullups. I quit my traditional gym because I could never get motivated to lift weights and run on a treadmill, and my exclusive form of exercise is climbing at a local rock climbing gym twice a week. (The DC area has two really good climbing gyms, including the biggest one in the country -- EarthTreks in Rockville.) Rock climbing will do wonders for your arms, shoulders, and back, but unfortunately nothing for your chest.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Quote: Take the home prices of NYC, the transit system of Buffalo New York, the food of Cleveland and the weather of Minneapolis and you get Toronto.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

EarthTreks is awesome. I need to get down there more

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I used to free climb when I was much younger. I also did several years of full-contact Kung-fu, which was the most disciplined fun I have ever had... unfortunately I moved away from my teacher and got out of the habit etc. etc. IME, martial arts are the best single all-round way to work out, but I would exclude Judo becuase the injury risk is so much higher (to joints) - whatever the 'it's all about balance and form' line you get about Judo, superior strength and weight will win more often than not and that means injuries to their opponent.

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

First fit pic as per noodles request [​IMG]

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've come to the same conclusion. I think I've also resolved to take pictures of a few jackets that fit differently and get thoughts from the members of this thread on what works best for me.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Welcome to the noodlers who now will join our ranks and become hallowed members!

13. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

In need of some good natured advice!

Was looking for some winter coat ideas. I wanted something in brown wool. Doesn't have to be strictly Classic Menswear style. I'm in AZ so I'm not actually used to needing jackets other than linen. My favorite types of jackets (no SC) are safari jackets, but that doesn't quite work for winter/fall wear.

I wanted something that was more "streetwear" but would still look nice if needed to wear with a tie/grey trousers. Browns, blues and olive are my go-to. Was thinking brown, as mentioned. As "SW&D" as I get are jeans and a buttonup, or corduroy pants/button up, usually some suede shoes. Always collared shirts.

Ssssoooo what styles are there to choose from? Peacoat, "car coat" (idea from SuitSupply), bomber jacket..

Field coats are my favorite but aren't they a little too summery? Here's my favorite (summer) style:
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/coat...J267I.html?start=24&cgid=Coats&start=23&sz=23

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

15. mrjester

mrjester Senior member