• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to stereotype. Weight lifting is a pretty exact science.

You have to use the right form, as there's usually only one or two ways to do an exercise correctly.

You have to do the right exercises, in order to prevent injuries from imbalances and asymmetry.

You have to eat the right amount of calories, too little and you won't gain muscle, too much and you'll start putting on too much fat.

It offers a reassuring certainty in a world where not much is certain anymore. It's also the perfect sport for people who like numbers and spreadsheets, as it's the only way to consistent progress. Because of all this, success depends solely on your dedication and determination, which is pretty cool if you ask me. This also makes it incredibly difficult at times.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean. Whatever works for you is fine as long as you're out there doing something!

Edit:

I think when people workout, they tend to overeat afterwards thinking they 'earned' it and thus eat like crap. Honestly my diet isn't great right now, but it's not terrible.

As far as the boxing thing: I think there's going to be a little bit of sparring, but it's mostly going to be conditioning stuff. I'm not interested in walking around with bruises and black eyes!

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
^

glFDOpL.gif

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean. Whatever works for you is fine as long as you're out there doing something!

Edit:

I think when people workout, they tend to overeat afterwards thinking they 'earned' it and thus eat like crap. Honestly my diet isn't great right now, but it's not terrible.

As far as the boxing thing: I think there's going to be a little bit of sparring, but it's mostly going to be conditioning stuff. I'm not interested in walking around with bruises and black eyes!

Ever thought of taking up MMA? I use to do this a couple of years ago & it was among the most fun training forms I've tried so far. Never got any real injuries from it either, and I was probably somewhere around your age when I was active.

I've been meaning to take it up again myself, to complement gym exercise (lifting and machines). I don't want any real gain though, so you'd probably have to keep a stricter diet (more carbs) than me.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weight lifting is terrible for the wardrobe and muscular bodies are the hardest to fit.
frown.gif

Is this my cue to ask why the simple addition of a pocket square is causing the lapels on my jackets to buckle?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weight lifting is terrible for the wardrobe and muscular bodies are the hardest to fit.
frown.gif
This. I've been lifting weights time and again during a 10 years time period. I love working out, and when I do I go all in. I hate walking around at the gym talking and messing around. The problem is that it messes up the wardrobe.

Personally and approximately speaking, 2 months of intense weight lifting (4 times/week) = one size up. I gain muscles very easily. I've tried to slow things down at the gym, but can't manage to hold off when I see the weights and all. It's frustrating as I have to stop completely every 2-3 months.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this my cue to ask why the simple addition of a pocket square is causing the lapels on my jackets to buckle?
This happens to all my jackets. The right lapel lays flat, while the left (where the breast pocket is) buckles when I insert a PS.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
frown.gif
This?! Coming from who look like he has huge biceps?!
puzzled.gif

I just to 1,000 jump ropes in 100 reps and 10 sets. Then just go at it with my two 40 lbs dumbbells.

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, it's your huge chest and you are in good company, check all of Vox's fit and you see the same issue and his stuff are bespoke from the best tailors, you would think the tailors know what they are doing so it's simply not by increasing the chest measurement. It's just the curse of a muscular body.

@EFV ever trained with Alexander Gustafsson? I'm a huge fan but still want Jon Jones to whoop his butt :D

This?! Coming from who look like he has huge biceps?! :puzzled:  

I just to 1,000 jump ropes in 100 reps and 10 sets. Then just go at it with my two 40 lbs dumbbells. 

The biceps only look huge on SF, at LA Fitness it looks skinny. Body weight exercise is the best though and just doing pull-ups alone will improve your fits dramatically

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
@Monkeyface really? Does it depend on the fold as well? I'm usually OK with flat ones but if I go with a puff things get a bit jammed in the pocket. I'm always a bit concerned with sizing given my suits cut a bit close.

@ridethecliche sparring isn't dangerous at all provided you're training with proper headgear and partners. I've yet to get a bruise on my face in 4 years of Muay Thai after countless sparring sessions (against NA champs as well). Just make sure you're in a good gym where the wannabe tough guys are kept in check.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ever thought of taking up MMA? I use to do this a couple of years ago & it was among the most fun training forms I've tried so far. Never got any real injuries from it either, and I was probably somewhere around your age when I was active.

I've been meaning to take it up again myself, to complement gym exercise (lifting and machines). I don't want any real gain though, so you'd probably have to keep a stricter diet (more carbs) than me.

I would love to try that, but two back surgeries in at 25 I'm trying to find a happy medium that doesn't put me on the fast track to a third one!

I'd actually like to find a happy medium between lifting and cycling tbh. I just need to let go of my ego and be okay with working my back up from being slow...

This. I've been lifting weights time and again during a 10 years time period. I love working out, and when I do I go all in. I hate walking around at the gym talking and messing around. The problem is that it messes up the wardrobe.

Personally and approximately speaking, 2 months of intense weight lifting (4 times/week) = one size up. I gain muscles very easily. I've tried to slow things down at the gym, but can't manage to hold off when I see the weights and all. It's frustrating as I have to stop completely every 2-3 months.

I have a cap on this though. I don't want to weigh more than like 175-180. Thats about 10lbs away. Im pretty happy where i am now tbh. Ill likely cut down weight for a few months after new years and build back up.

Does no sort of cardio interest you?

LoKey

Reaction score
There are a dime a dozen personal testimonies about working out. Sorry to add one more. I've been lifting regularly without more than 10 days off (lower back injury) for 13 years now. My body's different in my 30's than in my 20's, so I've adjusted accordingly. I do 5 days at the gym, with an aim of leaving after 40 minutes (30 minutes when possible). One of the days is all body weight (either yoga, pylometric workouts, etc.) and I do heavy lifts no more than twice a month for major muscle groups. When the weather allows it, I play outdoor sports. This schedule allows me to fit in exercise without compromising my work and personal life. The most important part of my regiment is my diet. It took me a while to figure out what works without feeling like I'm punishing myself. Maintaining muscle mass is slightly more challenging as a vegetarian. I prepare about 85% of my meals each week (e.g. Lunch: sandwich, fruit, greek yogurt, pita chips) so I don't compromise when I eat out (cheesy fries please). As a result, I'm 6'2, 190-195 and 10 to 9% bf year round. My plan is to continue to add in yoga and remove weight training when I get to my 40's, but to maintain a similar regiment as long as I'm able.

TLDR: Approaching fitness/health as a lifetime habit versus a phase helped me develop a reasonable and accommodating routine for my lifestyle. Similarly, when I view my sartorial pursuits as a lifetime interest, I tend to be more deliberate and selective in what I acquire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads