Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Exactly. Athletes that get too sport specific and don't do outside strengthening have all sorts of issues.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two things, unrelated to each other.

a) I really want to start Tai Chi. My dad's been doing it for a year now and it's worked wonders for him in terms of mobility, flexibility, and general energy level. I figure if I start early, it'll keep me from encountering some of the problems he's been encountering the past twenty years or so.

b) It's been often said around here that dressing well won't get you laid. At least, I think it's been said around here.

I've never dressed well--very well--in America before. In college I dressed well enough...lots of Banana Republic and J Crew. But not over the top. In Korea, people (women) aren't quite as forward with engaging smiles and the like. Anyway, on the occasion that I do dress up here, I get tons of smiles. A crazy amount. I am, of course, married. But if I weren't, I'd say that dressing like a WAYWRN regular is a damn fine way to make a strong first impression with women.

Totally surprised me. I just assumed that women would see us as we are: clothing nerds.

3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

My undergrad wardrobe could be described in two words: Brooks Brothers.

I follow acridsheep's SF newbie life cycle chart pretty much perfectly.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Calling all Noodlers. Analyze and Discuss the following fit.

[​IMG]

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

He needs Botox.

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Agreed

7. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

RTC, I wouldn't start boxing for cardio if you are worried about long term health and functionality. Unless you meant 'boxercise' type stuff etc.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Timeless and elegant.

9. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Claghorn what was your inspiration in SK (SF, B&Tailor or other?) to raise your sartorial standards to their present very high level? Sartorially speaking, you're obviously not the same man returning to the US, who departed it in years gone by. A penny for your thoughts. Thanks.

Edit: Congrats on the female attention and appreciation that you're receiving in the US, for your prodigious sartorial efforts.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Do you mean that you see more people with injuries resulting from running? Either way, I don't doubt it, and that's not because of anything inherent about running though - it's simply because people run who shouldn't, people run too much, and people run without any attention to technique or training. Because they can. Walking is undoubtedly better basic exercise for many people who run, especially those who are overweight. Most people who define themselves as runners run way too much, don't do enough of a range of other exercises or rest enough, and tend to ignore signs of injury. And lots of people who run just seem to assume that because running is 'natural' we don't need any help in doing it... the basic problem is people, and men in particular (which comes back to the whole machismo thing...).

Personally, soccer and judo both injured me far often (and more seriously) than running. Soccer (like tennis) basically = running + sudden stopping and twisting, which is a recipe for disaster...

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

12. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Soccer is the sport with the greatest injury risk. I played professionally for a spell and have stopped entirely after one too many ankle injuries. Oddly enough it was the low level beer leagues that finished me off.

@ridethecliche I'm not sure what you're looking for with your fitness goals, but a good boxing program would see you cut a lot of weight. That may run counter to what you're looking for.

13. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Any sport with contact, or sudden direction change will wreck your knees. I've got two acl reconstructions (plus a damaged shoulder) to show for two years of division 2 college football. At 38, I'm much more inclined to workout like Flyingmonkey. A fair amount of strength training, mostly with my own body weight, and lots of variety. And I'm 210 lbs with single digit bodyfat.

14. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

To finish that story, I only started training that way about 18 months ago, because I was 250 lbs and fat. From the meathead weightlifter routine I'd followed for 20 years.

15. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

@gringodaddy I've definitely found that to be the best way to do things after doing the meat head thing for a few years. At most I use a 10lb dumb bell now and with proper techniques it kills me (pretty funny to watch actually).