Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.
navy jacket and a solid light grey pants!
The only difficulty is getting candid opinion about a silhouette on ones less than perfect body.
If CBD were really as easy as you guys say, we'd all look like Messrs. Marzotto or di Montezemolo, but we don't...
That means 15,000 more pages of GNAT.
HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice to see a pic of my hometown club, even if it's not the friendliest.
Money. Use his tailors and I can guarantee you that you'll look 99% as good as he does. The other 1% comes from being Italian.
Thank you for agreeing with me. As I said, it's not easy.
I can only speak for myself, but my issue with the Polo suit wasn't the swelled chest. It was how that particular swelled chest was constructed and cut and its relationship to Noodles. To me, he looked a bit stuffed into the suit at the chest, rather than it looking like it "swelled" around his chest and then draped appropriately.
Thanks for digging up that Manton piece. It's great!
This thread is now almost exactly duplicating the Grad Lounge (and vice-versa), where there was just a similar discussion about knowledge, physique, money and taste, the first three of which all make things easier, but only the latter guarantees success whether or not you have some or any of the first three...
@kulata , I agree with you about the PRL on Noodles. I was just trying to get to grips with what specifically you were trying to say.
As an aside, I have to shake my head at the macho lifting and bulking up talk. One thing I can tell you is that it won't do you a huge amount of long term good, not in the same way that a more sensible fitness program that involves a combination of strength work with other kinds of exercise will do. I look at the guys I know who used to lift who are now struggling with shoulder and back injuries and suffering with the fat that they are now carrying 20 or 30 years down the line, while those of us who have done things more carefully are still fit and active. Do I even lift, bro? No, I don't. A few free weights once or twice a week and the used of my own body weight (pull ups etc.) are as far as I go in that area. I run, but no more than every other day. I swim and I cycle on a similar basis. And I am competitive in running and trialthlon in my forties, and enjoying both, and plan to continue to do well and enjoy them into my sixties.
Ironically, the only injury I have suffered recently came from turning my ankle on a very smooth waxed floor in my Crockett & Jones leather-soled shoes... Damn you Styleforum...!
I will say with respect to lifting that I am a good bit stronger than I used to be before I started lifting / doing bodyweight exercises. I think the key to fitness is to have a good amount of balance. I'm more muscular than I used to be and look a bit bigger in the chest / arms / shoulders, but not absurdly so. If one has never lifted before, it is relatively easy to gain a bit of muscle mass that one can maintain healthily. I do agree with you that an obsessive focus on bulking up may not be the best idea and that a more balanced fitness regimen is probably wiser. Doesn't mean one can't see some positive gains from starting weightlifting, though.
I've been doing a lot more cardio recently with strength training maybe 1-2x per week to try to lose some weight. Works pretty well.
@flyingmonkey i work in spine surgery outcomes research. I used to be a competitive cyclist and now i lift.
Nothing is good when overdone, but there's a healthy approach to many things. Many cyclists I know are pretty much on the opposite end of the scale.
I'm going to take up boxing for cardio!
I work in physical therapy and running has the highest injury rate of any recreational sport.
Doesn't matter what the activity is, create imbalances or have poor body mechanics or movement patterns, you're going to get hurt. Any exercise executes properly and with intelligent program design/overload methods can be continued safely for a lifetime
Separate names with a comma.