Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@TM79 - Can I get a witness!!!

---

Noodles, you have smaller-ish shoulders, and not narrow hips. Deal with it. I have plenty of build issues myself. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

<3

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Not hard to fix. Honestly. I bet he could gain 2-3 inches of shoulder width in 6 months. It makes things look so much better.

And yes, I'm appealing to his vanity to get his ass in the gym lol.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

2-3 inches?!? That's pretty much impossible...

I'm not going to comment on poor Noodles' physique, but probably a bit on the top and a bit more off the bottom is the way to go. I've changed shape dramatically over the past 3 years but the only thing I've really had to adjust are my trouser waists and small details on jackets (which is good because I'm in no mood for more $$$$$ on suits).

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, that's what I meant kind of. Anyone can order the bespoke ones of course, but the min metres (12m if I remember?) puts me off generally at the moment and I've always been able to find plenty I liked in sock without doing it. Much prefer to do 10 designs of 10 units than 3-4 of 25-30 units. I do plan on doing some bespoke PS prints for next Aus winter though.

6. ridethecliche

In the last 6 months, I've gone from about a 36 jacket to close to a 42 with a waist that's only slightly wider. Albeit, I can't lift much with my legs, but my back and shoulders are too big for any of the jackets I got a year ago. I sold or donated most of them.

My BBGF suit fit was in a 41R. My first nice blazer was a 38 J press that was loose when I first got it.

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Width? Probably not. Circumference? Easily

8. ridethecliche

Isn't what we're talking about needing shoulders on jackets that are 2-3 inches wider? That's what happened to me. N=1, but other people that have ever lifted will probably corroborate.

Yeah, the point between the two acrominion processes is going to stay constant unless you surgically insert rods haha.

I need like a 19 inch shoulder now. 18.5's are pretty tight and I'm pretty sure I was more like a 16.5 earlier. I've only *really* been at this again for a few months though.

Anyway, back to the noodle stuffs.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That's probably more due to an increase in your chest and back than because of your shoulders. Of course it's possible to increase shoulder width by quite a bit, but it's something that takes a bit more time and dedication than your back or chest. It says a lot that the only people who have really good shoulders are on steroids, while you have plenty of 'natural' weight lifters with a well developed back or chest.

Your workout talk is good motivation for me to hit the gym. I've been slacking for the past couple of months, due to many travels and relocations. It's interesting (and a little sad) to see how fast you can lose muscle mass when you're not working out/eating enough.

10. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Well, shoulder expression/style matters as much as the actual measurement IME, so he may need a 19'' in one style, 19.5'' in another. Clothing — not an exact science, as much as we want it to be.

In other news: just picked up my one [​IMG] suit from Field's. Now to figure out how to take a robo-posed selfie

11. ridethecliche

Oh definitely, expression matters, but I'm saying that the real feeling is when something loose gets tight. I definitely agree that chest and back have a lot to do with it. I think it's mostly lats.

I could barely bench 40 lb db's when I started again, I was doing 80's yesterday.

I've had back surgery twice though, so I really can't push it too hard. If I was still doing squats and heavy barbell rows and maybe deads, I'd have put on atleast 5-10 more lbs. I've gained about 15-20.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

why go to the gym when you have to put together freaking bed frames, put up curtains, hang a freaking 50 lbs mirror on the wall, move furniture from one room to another, etc, etc, etc and cut off the tree branches that have stretched over to your fence. [​IMG]

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I hate weights. All I need is something to hang from and the ground.

Back to Noodles and all this talk of this threads need for him to regress....I would argue that he already has. Selling that suit to SB without a replacement in hand that fit as good or better was a bonehead move.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

He has promised me that the funds are sequestered for his birdseye Formoose.

15. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Because PGC-1a4 expression