Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I second PCK. Noodles needs a plan. Like a set plan, with a time frame and everything. Will make the thread less haywire, but we all must make sacrifices.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Lol. How is it degrading. Every single person that allowed their footage to be used looked like they had a blast. It looked awesome. It makes me want to go join the climbing gym in town.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@sugarbutch
    Dearest Mr. P*****,
    I am happy to inform you that your most recent purchase with the Noodles & Co. has been shipped. It was a pleasure doing business with your Mr. P******.

Best regards,

Noodles & Co.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

:slayer:

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

Feel I have to share this Manton post on suit silhouette, it's one of the reasons why this forum will always owe him and people like him a great deal for sharing knowledge. The original was deleted.

I am also highlighting where he differentiates a draped chest from a swelled chest since it is relevant to the Polo suit fiasco and they are often confused.

6. in stitches

Northface prank is awesome.

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

No, Manton's post is awesome. We need much more of that here and less ad-spam (IMHO).

I'm interested as to what @Kulata thinks that it says about the 'fiasco' though - as far as I can see, it helps is identify the proper names for things, so we can name what we see correctly, and understand the 'family tree' of tailoring. However, this not tell you whether Suit A or Suit B works for any particular person without knowing what someone's underlying physique is... if someone puts on 2 different suits, one still has to look and see whether it fits and flatter the form or not. One can use Manton's post to describe what is right or wrong, and it can help determine some possible alternatives, but you still have to identify whether something actually works for a particular person in practice first.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If that was in reference to what I posted, then it still counts as good natured advice because I want to get him off his ass and into the gym.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

Noodles benefits from a swelled chest and/or extended shoulders to fix his pear shape. The Polo has only the swelled chest, full sleeves and minimal waist suppression and it completely fixed the pear shape issue and it looked flattering IMO. The formosa also reduces the appearance of his hips with the extended shoulders, so it also works. Primary reason I told him to get both.

People saw the convex shaped chest as a defect while it's a complementary feature for those that need the additional girth in the chest department.

11. in stitches

Yes. The Northface prank is awesome. So is Mantons post.

But lets keep one thing in mind. There is no, nor has there ever been, a thread that keeps going, running only on meaty, intellectual, thought out, helpful, clothing related, posts. Its just too hard to self sustain. Tangential tomfoolery are needed to keep things going, and keep people checking the thread as they see new posts, and when someone has something smart, or interesting, or helpful to say, related to the OP, I am sure they will share it.

Almost any thread that gets strictly policed to include only things directly related to the OP, dies hard and fast. Forcing content is impossible, it will arrive when it arrives.

Not to mention this is GNAT, the king of tangential threads.

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

is that why we were talking about plumbing pipes and stuff?
    I mean, we want the main focus of this thread to be informative but it's a place where people come and hang out too.

pear shape pear shape...I didn't know that I had a pear shaped body. (@*&#$@
    the pear shape is caused by jacket having small shoulders that in turn causes the jacket to spread outward from the waist down.
    Unless you've seen me naked, I don't think you can say I have a pear shaped body...[​IMG]

13. TM79

TM79 Senior member

What we need, Noodles, is for you to regress and re-kindle this thread.

I think that is what the public is crying out for - more regression, less Formosa.

/sarcasm

All you need to do is look at the threads Manton tried to start, and maintain, and see Stitchy is right. There was top notch material in there but after maybe 10 pages each thread took a nosedive and got cluttered by inane questions, fit pics that had absolutely no business being posted, and it made the people taking it seriously throw their arms up in defeat and walk away.

Threads like this one may spin off into silliness but they are also fun and no one has walked away from it. I think the 900 pages is testimony to that.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It's usually more active than the WAYWRN thread, and much more fun too.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

well, it's a combination of me just being an idiot and good people hanging out here.
    this might be @Claghorn 's most successful thread thus far.