Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Here is the fit/cut/style that I like and would like to continue to get.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I do not like about the suit: Color and pattern because it makes me look old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's just take a poll. Keep or sell?

I'd rather sell this and use the proceeds to get this from Suit Supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

Based solely on the pics above, I prefer the silhouette of that Polo for an everyday suit. The Formosa is very nice but more special and dramatic. I'd add both to my wardrobe if it was me.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That suit is so much better than the suit supply jacket. The biggest difference I see with that and the formosa are the shoulders and a little bit of waist suppression. The button lapel needs a little attention to fix the roll, but it looks great. Even the quarters close similarly.

Posture and picture angle are different as well.

TLDR: You're nuts.

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

5. ridethecliche

STOP OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING!

Seriously, stop being so freaked out to try something different lest you make a mistake.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

FWIW I don't like the pinstripe suit very much. Color and pattern are fine; I don't think they make Noodles look old. And it fits well. Better than the Suit Supply, perhaps because it's more structured. I just don't like the silhouette of it very much. I basically agree with @kulata, except that I like suits that are special on all occasions. OTOH it could just be that the picture is shitty and blurry.

7. ridethecliche

Yeah, it's one of the worst lit pictures he's taken, which is saying something :p

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It fits better than the SuSU suit. Pinstripes don't make you look old. Where did you hear that? My girlfriend loves my pinstripe suit.

Anyways, wear that suit with a nice light blue or light pink shirt, a burgundy, navy, brown or forest green tie, and a white linen PS. You'll look awesome.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I actually agree with @The Noodles in this case. I don't think the cut of the grey pinstripe is terribly flattering to his body shape, however much we all like the colour / texture etc. It makes him look blobby. It seems quite clear to me that the cut of the blue suit flatters him more - and that's what a suit is supposed to do. The shoulders are firmer, the buttoning point is lower, it has more definition in the waist - all of which gives him a better silhouette. It wouldn't be the same answer for everyone, but in his case, that's what works for him. And this is irrespective of how famous the maker(s) are etc.

10. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

That pinstripe suit is fine Noodles. Not as nice as your Formosa, but still good.

Could anyone help me pinpoint what it is that's creating the widely differing silhouettes between the Formosa and the pinstripe?

From what I can see: the pinstripe has a fuller chest, less waist suppression, thinner lapels, the obviously differing buttoning configuration, and less curved quarters. Shoulder also a bit more structured on the Formosa perhaps? Also seems a bit longer, but that might be a function of the angle/stripes. Pinstripe also seems to have fuller sleeves. Anything I'm missing?

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

The fuller sleeves and the minimal waist suppression on the Polo visually reduces the effect of his hips

I think you have a preference for the classic British silhouette with clear, sharp and angled definitions. Noodles needs both

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I think the chest of the Polo is more structured, which doesn't allow it to drape as much. It looks a little more "stuffed" to me, if that makes sense.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Chest is definitely fuller in the Polo and it serves him well to be top heavy, but the draping may just be due to the fabric not really sure.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I think we're over analyzing. It looks great, so keep it. You can sell this one only once you have 10 Formosas in your wardrobe.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Stop talking Noodles into keeping the suit. He's selling it to me. :slayer: