Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I tried a pair of their pants when they first become affiliate vendors. I was not really impressed with the quality. The construction seemed pretty poor with the stitching down the seams very loose and see-through in places.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks for all the feedback, gents. 3 or 1 it is then! I'm leaning towards 1, because I think the wool cashmere blend might be better than wool/hemp/silk for winter. I do like the patch pockets and cuffs on number 3 though. Tough choice!

Quote:
    Hmm, I must've missed that one. You're not making it any easier. How does it look with the collar turned down?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Re overcoats: My preference is for 1 then 3. The other two look more difficult to match with whatever else you'd be wearing underneath.

Overall I like 1 best because of the material, the peak lapels (stylish point of interest) and the lack of patch pockets (somehow I can't warm to patch pockets on an overcoat - I could indulge in overthunk waffle by way of justification, but won't bother you with that).

Sorry to bang on about this briefcase, but is there anyone here who likes it, and if not, can you please bother me with some overthunk waffle as to why you don't like it? Thanks.

[​IMG]

Is it perhaps too stuffy and sedate and chunky?

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

@Monkeyface

If you're only buying 1 coat, then number 1 - especially given what you've now said about the materials.

If you're buying 2 of those, I'd add number 2 as well for versatility (3 being too similar in colour to number 1), although navy would be better if you want something more conventionally sober.

And then my third choice would be a camel / tan colour.

7. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I think it looks very nice. I went on a mini-vacation to Toronto and tried it on in their store. The fabric is a lot richer looking in person. I feel like the website photos don't sell it too well.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@Coxsackie, I like the briefcase. It looks very nice and is clearly in good taste by any reasonable standard. Only question is whether you like it.

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

losrockets, the drape (which doesn't come through in pics like that), along with the crease, is going to be the biggest thing differentiating those trousers (which I like) from chinos.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Well, Noodles, that's my size and my go-to brand, so if you find that you can't come to terms with it, let me know. I still think it can work for you, though.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Someone mentioned Suit Supply above, so I went to check status on the long-promised SF location. Guess which city is no longer listed...

12. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@EliodA
    - Thanks for the feedback, which is appreciated. Point taken re texture, which I completely agree with.
    - My HK tailor for the past 27 years is located in the Burlington Archade (HK's humble version of Savile Row during the twilight of the British colonial period) in the TST district on the Kowloon side. The protesting and civil disorder has spread from the central district on HK Island and has now jumped across the harbour to the Kowloon side, including a couple of subway train stops north of TST at Mong Kok. The civil strife has already impacted my tailor's business operations, e.g. one of my current new commissions (SB-2B Neapolitan cut SC/blazer in jet blue wool) has been delayed recently.
    - The political situation leading to the civil strife is a topic I respectfully prefer to side step, as I'm presently down under in NZ and far away from events on the ground. Perhaps, some of the SF members in HK may wish to comment.

13. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Coxsackie arguably yes. I think the high relief padding under the leather does make the case appear chunky, especially as it is already gusseted. You're a well polished and sleek guy, your case needs to reflect that. Just my 2 cents worth.

14. AJL

AJL Senior member

I think the rota trews in a 48 will fit me better in every way but the waist. I've previously gotten 50's and had the waist taken in, but the legs could stand to be slimmer. Good or bad idea to try a 48 and let out the waist a bit if needed ? (guessing 1/2" or so). Or just stick w/ 50 and have the waist and seat taken in, leaving a bit of excess from the hips down?

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Waist is usually the easiest operation, so I would get the 48 and let out the waist. Only word of caution is not to do this with the cotton garment-dyed ones, because the fabric you uncover will not be the same color as the rest.