1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Naw dawg. Let's start with a fit pic and you all can have a field day! :laugh:

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Noodles just needs to stop over thinking all this. CBD
    is not that hard and a charcoal grey suit looks awesome. He needs a bit variety.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

CBD is...hard because you start off with a restriction. Odd jacket/trousers allow you to be more creative.

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Which is far more difficult to do well.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Solution to the grey pinstripe and your complexion: go on vacation and get a tan

6. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

^^^ This post is insane.

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Noodles, if i can do cbd well you should be fine. It's all about the tailoring and sticking to staples.

My suit fit was straight up cbd. I love that suit. So lucky.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

This.

Also, parch pockets are awesome, but need ti be correct with a solid suit. The suit in all needs a patch vibe. If NMWA uses it, you can trust its right.

Noodles, gray will work fine for you.

Pants are fine. I personally prefer a little less break, but those are certainly fine as is.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

I prefer a little more break...but this is also partly that I prefer a more conservative look...and also that I am on the bigger spectrum of size standing 6'2 and 210lbs...

I think for my build a little break is more flattering and appropriate than trying to have a very slim fit look and no break which only accentuates my build in negative ways.

I also prefer a 1 and 3/4 inch cuff...this is a very classic length that is balanced and not too tall or too short...it is not only my preference but also Prince Charles.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

CBD is so easy it's absurd. Dark suit, white or light blue shirt, any number of solid / neat / pin dot ties. God help us all when Noodles decides he wants to start wearing tweed on the weekend.

12. in stitches

Hahahaha

In all seriousness though, in a sense it is easy, but in a sense it is also hard. And by hard, I mean it's hard to execute it in a way that is really outstanding, as opposed to just baseline very nice.

That's kind of the "problem" with CBD, a well executed baseline very nice look, is just that, very nice. It's hard to be over-the-top amazing. But I guess that's kind of the point. But also, sometimes its done so well, it really is amazing.

Also, baseline very nice beats non CBD trainwreck.

:)

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

^ I agree with you, Stitchy. It is easy to look nice but hard to look outstanding consistently. There are a few absolutely killer and classically elegant combinations that work with white shirts and dark suits, but you miss out on a lot of opportunities with this. The light blue shirt option helps a bit here, though. But looking nice (the baseline) as you say is a hell of a lot better than the trainwreck category and deviating from more conservative choices makes sense only if you're at the point where the risk reward ratio makes sense (i.e. you know enough and have enough experience that you will have a lot more excellent fits than crappy ones and a fair amount of good but not outstanding fits). When you are conservatively dressed, it's the subtle things like great fit that stand out and make the outfit. Noodles has definitely improved the way his suits fit and I suspect looks pretty damn good with a well fitting suit, decent shirt and tie (which he's also stocked up on and done a good job with).

The other thing for Noodles is that it is easier to experiment with a shirt (e.g. pink or lilac) or a tie than it is with a suit. At least it is a hell of a lot cheaper. A pale pink shirt worn with a grey suit and burgundy or navy tie will make a look a bit less conservative but still use mostly conservative pieces. If he decides he doesn't like the pink shirt, he's out a lot less than if he decides he doesn't like a suit.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Check this briefcase. Half price at Brooks Brothers sale. Still expensive. Quality is friggin unbelievable. Kop?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. in stitches

Well said, archi.