Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Those are Patrick R like choices.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Thx for your input. Let's see what can be done with this grey chalk stripe. If I can't manage to pull something off nice, I will just chalk it up. High contrast...I guess I can't get more high contrast, unless I bleach my hair blonde or something.

I really need to go back and look at kulata's tumblr. I have not had good reception with greys. My facial complexion. :deadhorse:

I pray that youre not a 50R then. :laugh:

Is the length just fine? Feel like I should shorten it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yep. The Birdseye is hands down my favorite suit. I haven't been wearing suits much and when I do, it's usually the one I grab. The fabric is fantastic. I love my grey flannel and really want the navy flannel, but you don't like patch pockets...for some crazy reason.

My vote would be birdseye, but seeing how you have a bunch of navy suits, the sharkskin is not a bad choice. I might be doing a MTO for the sharkskin soon...because of my sizing.

4. Murlsquirl

I would leave those trousers as is for now...especially since they have never been dry cleaned. Nothing wrong with a little bit of break. How tall are the cuffs, 1.75"?

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I like a little bit of break....I don't think those are too long...

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Quote:
    close. very.

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I usually agree with Murl, but in this case I don't. Ideally those trousers should be a bit shorter and the cuffs taller. 5cm or 2"

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

9. Murlsquirl

I know we've already told you, but this is ridiculous. I could post about 100 pictures of Asians in grey suits that look great....Marc from the Armoury, Taka from Liverano, and the BnT family to name a few. I'm far too lazy though.

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Because it looks better.
    And Murl is right about grey suits, you know. You'll look fine in them as long as you provide ample contrast in your fit.

11. Murlsquirl

Bah...they could shrink a bit after a dry clean and break is really about personal preference. That is definitely within the acceptable range. As for the cuffs, I am 6'3" and have 1.75" cuffs on everything. Most people would say that with my height I need 2", but again, it's personal preference.

12. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

13. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@The Noodles and @Cleav
    - I'd like to share some of my own humble "wardrobe rebuild" from scratch efforts to date, following a period of sustained weight loss that resulted in me no longer being able to fit my entire wardrobe.
    - Presently, my major top-block garments (i.e. SC/blazers and car coats) are pictured below. From left to right: SB-2B English cut SC/blazers in "solid" black, mid night blue and air force blue wool blends. And, SB-3B car coats in solid mid night blue and tan cashmere. Yep, boring old traditional English cut notched lapels one and all, compared to the stylish Formosa cuts on display here.
    - In addition, I have two new SB-2B English cut suits (in solid mid and dark grey wool) with my HK tailor now being adjusted and two new SB-2B Neapolitan cut SC/blazers (in solid jet blue and navy blue wool) being made now. In the case of the Neapolitan cut SC/blazers, I may get matching trousers for them too (aka blazer/suits).
    - Also, I'm planning another a couple of new SB-3R2 Neapolitan cut SC for summer down under, i.e. in solid Rivera blue and/or light or mid grey wool. Note to high contrast self: get a suntan first before wearing! Plus, new "patterned" SB PoW check suits in grey, navy blue and/or tan. Perhaps a patterned tweed SC or two for next winter.
    - However, my next new suit commission will be for a SB English cut (1 or 2 buttons?) in "solid" mid night blue wool with peaked lapels to cap off my present solids collection.
    - Despite over 25 years of history getting custom made clothes from HK, I'm still following the well beaten path and time honoured approach taken by well schooled sartorial newcomers, i.e. building a good foundation of "solids" first. In my case, more SC/blazers than suits--as I'm not a CBD professional like The Noodles.
    - Naturally, comments from you/everyone else about my present modest wardrobe rebuild efforts and future intentions are most welcome. Thanks!

P.S. I'm just waiting on my new trousers (alas, got some fit issues at present) to be completed by my HK tailor, before I can start posting some fits here at long last.

[​IMG]

14. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@The Noodles not so, man. Bleaching your hair blonde would in fact have the opposite effect, i.e. taking you from high to a lower contrast visage. May I suggest that you read the second chapter (The Power of Color) of Alan Flusser's book Dressing The Man. As correct colour appreciation is very important to us all achieving flattering sartorial looks in an "optimal"way--with the least expenditure of time and expense. Otherwise, expensive lessons (unflattering looks and/or buyer's remorse) will have to learnt along the way.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I am frustrated, Noodles. You post some seriously inconclusive pictures of a suit. You get some positive feedback, some negative feedback. We haven't seen it in a full-length pic appropriately accessorized, let alone with the minor alterations that were pretty universally endorsed.

Take it to the tailor and get the sides let out a bit, and have him press the right lapel properly. Then put on a shirt and tie, wear it to work, and take a picture. See how it works out.