Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

I must be well boring then. I always like solid, boring suits more than patterns etc. Maybe I pay more attention to the cut and fit when solid colours are involved. I'd be perfectly happy with a wardrobe full of nothing but solid navy and grey suits, solid light blue shirts and a bunch of neats.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Gracias! :D

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Suitsupply tan/camel houndstooth Barbera wool/cashmere/camel overcoat. The shoulders are natural, there's some drape in the chest, and the back is completely clean, not a wrinkle in sight. It's £299, and it would be my only overcoat this year. I'd wear it over a suit for work, and over an SC and flannels for the weekends. Yes or no?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

4. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I'm with you 100%.

I used to wear bolder colors and patterns in my shirts and consistently got comments about how much people liked them (particularly female coworkers). "I like your shirt." Disjointed and specific comments, but all positive.

Now that I am a "staple look" factory, I get comments that are much more general. "You always look so nice." "You have a really good look."

It's a subtle difference in the comments, but I think it's a meaningful difference.

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

This is funny. Now that you mention it, the compliments I receive moved away from single items to my overall aesthetic as I stopped wearing bolder shirts/pieces as well

6. mdancel

mdancel Senior member

Definitely planning on starting slow with purchases. Right now I really want to stay focused on learning what is good and making the plan for purchases.

I snapped a few pictures of what I currently I have.

Suits:
    [​IMG]

Most of these I picked up from a tailor in South America a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I didn't know a super lot back then so the suits aren't super great. I suspect jackets maybe a bit short and lapels a bit narrow for the SF liking.

Shirts: Most of the shirts are from a tailor in South America as well.

White with Green
    [​IMG]

Pinks
    [​IMG]

Lavenders
    [​IMG]

Blues
    [​IMG]

Whites
    [​IMG]

Shoes: The first 2 pairs are AE that I picked up on eBay. The last 3 are shoes that are from South America. I don't particularly love any of them.
    [​IMG]

Ties: I feel these are my best ties which are all from Tie Bar. It's gets worse after this.
    : [​IMG]

Pocket Squares:
    [​IMG]

7. mdancel

mdancel Senior member

Thanks for the input Monkeyface. I'll look at bringing the tie budget down and I'll look at redistributing the PS budget to other areas.

Thanks Claghorn! I'm looking forward to it. You started a very nice thread.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

While most regular folk are pretty easy to impress, not in a bad way, its just that most normal people dont obsesses about clothing like we do, they almost always pick up on design over fit. A guy who wears well fitting stuff on the reg will be acknowledged as well dressed, but the guy with the louder stuff with get more oohs and aahs.

Buy it because its awesome.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, it is. But would it be ok for everyday wear? I'd probably wear it 5 days a week or so.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Is it Ok? Sure. Hell, its a beaut. Will it go very noticed as an every day coat though? Also sure. Its a loud-ish coat. I prefer a solid, or close to it, for a staple coat, and a bevy of other fun and exciting coats for other times. Im an outerwear whore though.

As well, it might start to look worn as its a lighter color, idrk.

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Well here is a 29" version of same, as posted a bit earlier: [​IMG] And, so that they're side by side: [​IMG] So if the longer jacket is a classic length, is the shorter modern or "trendy", as I believe gdl203 alluded to earlier? I think my ideal would be somewhere between the two, though I suppose I'm open to the idea of a range of lengths. Certainly no longer or shorter than either of these, respectively. There certainly is a very different look that each length creates, and perhaps that's not altogether a bad thing.
    Very illustrative, thank you Betel.
    Nope, it's the Draper's hopsack SC. I know that you've stated your preference for the shorter length for me, when I earlier posted an Isaia suit jacket that's in the 29" range.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The gunclub is MUCH better, AJL. And not trendy in the slightest. That's a perfect length.

That blue hopsack is too long.

No more hand-wringing.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Ok.I will go staple. So here are my questions:
    1) Formosa has flannel suits. How are they different from your regular wool suits? Recommend them as 3 season suits?
    2) @Murlsquirl
    Navy birdseye vs Blue plaid, is there recognizable difference btwn the two? Not the best choice if looking to diversify the closet?

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Flannel fabrics has a fuzzy nap to them.

You can wear those 10/11 oz flannel suits NMWA has in fall, winter, and part of spring (temp under 70 or so)

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Flannel ruled out.
    Thx jrd