1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I like knits, so I have no desire to discourage folks from wearing them. But I question the sense of obligation. Once you're in denim, you've made the call on formality. In that case, I'd say, add a knit if you think it adds to the effect, but not because of what you're doing. Here, I'd like the laid-back vibe that would accompany an open collar.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I am persuaded. Thanks as always for your input.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I am so happy that the Doc has found his way into this thread. That is all.

4. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

After having watched a lot (plus multiple re-runs) of Top Gear, I'm nearly certain JC only owns one pair of jeans, at least per season. His dough is obviously spent on cars and watches. Don't get me going on the hair... He and the hippy guy really take the cake in advanced styling. And that's British culture swept across the globe for you. Ugh... Great cars though, so some remedy. [​IMG]

5. TweedyProf

Yup.

6. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I just wanna know if he'll be my Huckleberry?

7. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

I know I'm a couple pages behind on the discussion regarding the thread change and who we are helping, but for the record, I would like to get in on the "help me out" at some point as well. I just don't want to overload who we are focusing on. I can wait my turn.

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I think we're all good at the moment. lol. Although I'm wondering if I'm looney for considering spoos RLPL suit... but that's an internal battle.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Rudals--congratulations on the return. I just want to echo HF's sentiment that you should spend that money--wisely--at NM in consideration of their excellent service. Very very impressive. Just get a staple of some sort. In fact, I'm sure they will be willing to take a few pictures of you in various jackets and you could post the pictures here if you really want to be careful. But I doubt that's necessary. Just a medium gray to charcoal gray suit. No pattern. Make sure it's got a decently low buttoning point as mid-high doesn't really work for you (I like mine around there just because I like the way it feels, but I'll admit that if I wore more RTW, I'd definitely go lower for appearance's sake). Make sure it fits on the shoulders. You'll be set.

Join on in. I know I helped you a bit via PM. How did those jackets turn out?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

10. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

The cotton one is great. I was just waiting for spring to unveil it, but it is really hard to do so. The 3b is too short in the sleeves. The seller screwed up his measurements. It also has working cuffs and 4 buttons on them already, so I couldn't have them lengthened. I didn't want to pay $40 to ship it back to the UK so I settled for a partial refund from him and it sits in my closet until I can either gift it to a friend or flip it.

Consequently I am still actively looking for a staple navy odd jacket for year round or at least fall/winter wear. I paid close attention to your recommendations to jungle in those regards.

I think I will do a more full post sometime this week (Thursday or Friday, maybe?) that lists out all of my gear and the sorts of looks I am generally trying to construct and we can go from there. Recently I have replaced A LOT of trousers as I think they were by FAR my worst area for a while there. I think I will need to move to shirts soon.

Overall I have wasted a lot of money buying things second hand that I thought were great deals. I have found a few gems imo, but overall have lacked the discerning eye that I have only begun to develop recently.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Trinny & Susannah! If they couldn't bully/shame him into wearing decent clothing, no one could.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

TweedyProf, I respect DocHolliday's opinion, but I still like the tie.

14. TweedyProf

Thanks SB...I'm still wearing it!

But next time in crap weather, I will go with a BD. I'm sure it's nicer in The City (how I miss it, especially on days like today).

15. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

Lol. Trimmi and Sweetsannah, I remember that one well.