1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Didn't expect @PatrickR to have so many flannel shirts.

2. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

I have at least two shirts in each of the first five fabrics you linked.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I have the first three...from Luxire. They are good.

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

He's got a mean casual game.

5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 to navy pencil stripes on a white ground.

6. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

Is there a way to bookmark posts? For example, in the a few months I would love to come back to these shirt recommendations.

I'm loving the first # of a specific clothing items. They are so helpful especially with the specific examples. Thanks all for taking the time.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ikea sells inexpensive wooden hangers.

1 person likes this.
  8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I seem to remember this has been discussed before, but does anyone share my dislike for shirts where the stripes are thinner than those of the white ground? If so, is there a rational explanation?

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Yeah,it was something along those lines, iirc. But then, the question remains: why are they not in good taste? Somehow I associate them with 'cheap', thought I know there are plenty of high end shirts with stripes like that too. Anyone who can shed some light on this?

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Elio I share your dislike too but honestly I don't see any obvious reason for it. Symmetry on its own isn't a good argument as everyone here is a FIH advocate precisely because the knot isn't symmetrical. Symmetry for shirts but not ties?

Still, perhaps our current, group aesthetic gravitates towards symmetry or at least some constancy in repetition of any pattern: think of patterned ties. Is that why I dislike paisleys too? They can seem quite "asymmetric" (and loud). But cf. neats, dots, stripes which feel best when they are not irregular in pattern (IMO).

We should throw up some examples in the Lounge.

Maybe we are just conservative and post hoc justifying our tastes?

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Throw me in the other camp. My favorite striped shirts, the blue stripes are thinner than the white ground.

1 person likes this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Those who would argue that asymmetrical stripes are in bad taste simply because they’re asymmetrical would need to explain why symmetry matters some times but not other times. The suit coat itself is asymmetrical in certain respects.

(1) The left side overlaps the right side and has buttonholes while the right side had buttons.
    (2) Typically the jacket has a single breast pocket, on the left.
    (3) Use of a pocket square exaggerates the asymmetry.

The bottom line for me is that the symmetry argument underestimates the complexity of human cognition. Yes, for lots of evolutionary reasons the brain is good at detecting visual symmetry (it correlates non-trivially with the presence of another organism). But humans are also intelligent agents who often seek interest and novelty. Asymmetry can be interesting—it attracts attention, especially when seen against a larger, more symmetrical field.

Let me be clear that I’m not offering an opinion on the tastefulness or otherwise of such stripes. I’m simply saying that the argument from symmetry doesn’t work.

Cheers,

Ac

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Click the post number and then click whatever icon your browser has for favorites. That will bring you directly to the post in the future.

I would not quite say that they are my favorite, but I do like them just as much as my evenly spaced that my, and find them to be just as useful as a striped shirts where the stripes are an equal width.

Also, it was nice to see that the selection of patterns that we chose for jfrat were quite similar.

16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

»Symmetrie ist die Ästhetik der Dummen.«
    — Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Yup. I bought some and someone took them!
    But in all seriousness, what's wrong with having them on wire hangers?

Also, SF has a strong liking to blue based shirts. Am I wrong?
    What is another good color for shirts? I think I am covered on blue based shirts.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does that "someone" happen to share your bed? My someone does the same thing.

We do like blue shirts. I like white shirts, too, but I need to refresh my selection. My Hemrajani stuff is just about worn out, and the Luxire replacements were the first order I had with them. Measurements, collar details, and fabric are less than ideal, so I need to order more with the current template. Other than white, there's pink, maybe lavender, but all the other colors veer toward tier 3 levels of usefulness. They can be done well, but few people manage to do so.

1 person likes this.
  19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Me too. White with thin blue stripes is the most common pattern among those of my patterned shirts which I wear with a tie.

Cheers,

Ac