Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Branch out. CBD is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Don't you wanna be well dressed 7/7 instead of only 5/7? What you wear outside of work is just as important as what you wear during work.

Assuming you spend 50 hours per week at work, and get a healthy 8 hours of sleep per night, that leaves you with 62 hours a week not a work.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@noodles , the j crew stuff is honestly very good for regular casual wear. I would much rather wear that stuff and some PRL over zegna stuff.

I personally don't like the dude-bro aesthetic that prl has been used in. I think j crew can strike a nice balance for venturing into the preppy casual stuff and branching out from there. Barbour outerwear is awesome for this purpose as well. The round collar vest and the bedale are on my wish list.

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

For every other thing there is Old Navy, diaper and spit up friendly :D

Noodles knock yourself out. I have Chukkas and a ton of loafers too but I have too many cloths. :(

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nothing wrong with Jcrew....if it's on sale. Buttero are the mutts nutts, but they are pricey shoes. Get some decent denim, a nice clean pair of shoes and a shirt that fits and you'll look better than most.

Once you get drawn into the MC casual and/or SW&D side....you'll find you always need something to fill some hole. It's a terrible but lovely vicious cycle.

I still don't have a quality pair of chukkas, but I plan on getting some. The Clark's Desert Boots do the job for now when I need them.

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

no money will be spent on casual stuff. I wear suits 6 times a week (church included). I think I have enough.

6. ridethecliche

I got super lucky when I found AE Amok seconds for like 60 bucks on the shoebank. They're super nice, especially at that price point. Wish they still made them. I want a pair in snuff.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I have a casual wardrobe that's an extension of my formal stuff, and it works quite well, just means I don't have any of the hoodies and asymmetrical stuff, or sneakers.

I am tempted to get some sneakers but I think I might wait till later. I think chukkas are just fine, get a pair in brown and black and you're set I think, + they go well with cotton trousers + sportcoat combinations too.

I've found my uniqlo jeans to be really good, though I also have some more expensive J brand and Naked and Famous ones. Honestly while I like those jeans I honestly can't say they are significantly better or worth the money. Oh well.

Use pediwear for shoes, seriously, so much good stuff in the Loakes 1880 section.

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@Isolation
    When are you going to start posting on WAYWRN?

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

This, only using your own face.

[​IMG]

10. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Sitting in the surgery waiting room browsing the threads amd thought I'd weigh in on the casual kicks debate despite being quite unqualified to do so. I love chukkas, both lined and unlined, although I find the lined more comfortable, curiously. I also love teh loafers of all description (save beefroll, bleh), but for stylish sneakers without breaking the bank, I would recommend Superga or some non descript GATs.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Last few pages made me kinda sad.

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I also enjoy chukkas and I bought some when Spoo did one of his premier flash sales earlier this year - Lodger chukkas, I believe. I scooped a nice tobacco brown and wish I decided to get navy as well but I didn't think I'd wear them as much as I do.

I'm not too much of a sneakers person anymore but I will wear Seavees because they are comfortable minimalist - two things I can appreciate.

Butteros are nice but I'd never buy them because I wouldn't wear them often enough to get a good return on investment.

For denim, I have some from Raleigh denim that I like a lot. I managed to find some where the leg isn't too tapered or too full. I do not like the skinny jean.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I want this 5 eyelet chukka from Carmina on a rounded toe last (Forest or Oscar) in sunff suede.

[​IMG]

14. ridethecliche

Wait, wat?

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Me too. I simply cannot believe that Mr. T would have a self-replica necklace made sans his trademark mohawk.