Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1

terrible title

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yes but this is the Noodles thread still. So all advice should be relevant to the man's own troubled life. And I don't think they do noodles al dente.

I would put a hyphen in "good-natured", though. Because I'm a bit of a reactionary.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

4. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Lol. And istitchy can be (replace 'ist' with 'b'), too. (see the moron outburst on light tan with navy dialogue)

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

New name
    The Noodles Shop

We dont want MORE people coming here for advices. Let's keep it exclusive and not open this thread up to the public. How's that Clag meister?

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It wouldn't have been necessary had we not meandered so much ^_^. As it was, someone could have clicked in wondering what a Noodle tie was, read a few pages, and still have no idea of what was going on.

Not complaining about the meandering mind you. Just pointing out that it necessitated the name change should we have wanted new blood. And while I enjoy the exclusivity, I also enjoy helping people out. There is enough advice to go around--Radials and Jungalo need not hog it all.

As is, there is no thread like this. It operates between Ask A Wuick Question andGood Taste.

Also, the new name is a fun parody of the Good Taste thread given the much more jovial atmosphere here.

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

One thing that I do agree on is that other people souls should be free to come and get help. This thread would be on life support If it was only for me. But I do enjoy the exclusivity. But it's not like we are going to be jerks to newcomers either. We will welcome them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Exclusivity and Community Spirit: sort of a paradox.

Part of what makes the thread work is that Noodles and JR are good-natured, receptive and motivated. Also, the cast of authorities here is a good one (Clags, Stitches, Mimo, JRD, Cleav, others I'm forgetting), knowledgeable and friendly. If it can operate as Claghorn suggests, that would be very cool.

Last night, I just got sucked into reading a link to the Vox self-immolation (of the SF persona) and complaints about MC. I sort of see something of the worry in the Good Taste Thread, which was awesome when the main folks were posting but somehow got off the rails at some point. It was somewhat active a few weeks ago, especially when Aportnoy was posting his awesome Despos fits but it will never be what it was. Even Stitches nice recent fit elicited hardly a whimper from that thread.

I hope this thread keeps going. How to do it is always the question.

Strong moderation, I suppose. And one or two focus members at a time (noodles/JR) I think is key. One idea is to funnel good souls from WAYWRN into here. You get a sense of their character from that.

9. TweedyProf

BTW: Foo posted a set of 5 pics early in good taste which it might be fun to talk about here, relegislating his use of patterns etc.

Topics de jour, sort of like grenadines, tipped or untipped [​IMG].

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This I like.

I'll also try to contribute random helpful stuff where I can in addition to providing any sort of advice. For example. I deliberately wore a neat with stripes combination today in light of my musings yesterday. It will be uploaded shortly.

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

TweedyProf hit the nail on the head when he said, "...to funnel good souls from WAYWRN into here..." I think we'll continue to get good contributions from good people like HoldFast, Uncle Nemo, Betel, Professor Cleavage, Stitchie, and Clagster.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

Actually, being a 40 short, these measurements fit pretty much spot on, and I've been looking for a decent navy/blue jacket. Hmmm... Decent quality stuff you say?

On a side note, I must confess to falling prey to some of the same tendencies Noods has been accused of: label whoring, exclusivity, etc (not that that isn't part of the bedrock upon which the Forvms are built...). And I too had a stretch where I was paying full retail at Needless Markup, albeit some years ago. Some of the down to earth conversation surrounding this, and practical suggestions regarding how a garment actually looks and fits vs its provenance has been sobering to say the least.

Carry on.

13. TweedyProf

The transparency gives me pause. I can't decide if I'll hate it in 5 years or still love it. I guess it isn't so visible when it's hanging as opposed to held up.

I'm in the end more concerned about the size and appearance of the knot, but if I tipped, I'd self-tip. Or, I guess I could come up with a different, complementary color, part of the fun.

14. TweedyProf

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Needless Markup has a very lenient return policy. I've pretty much returned everything I've purchased from them with these follow exceptions.
    The question is should I return them? Is there anything that is at least decent. Please disregard price for this question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no, I ain't having no meltdown. I just want to return these and get better stuff.