Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Congrats!

2. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Isolation the silver raw material cost is a variable cost. I've attached a silver price chart, which I've marked up to show price resistance (descending red line) and support (ascending green lines). As you can see, silver is presently experiencing a major low now (could go lower still) and represents an excellent buying opportunity for contrarians. Silver prices are lower now, than when I was in HK back in March-April.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Silver isn't actually that expensive though, from the little experience I have trading, I would think a lot of the cost would be from the craftsmanship. Also rhodium plating itself would I think cost more than the silver? In any case, how much is it, then, based on current prices, let's say.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

For the right price, anything can be done.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

You can buy real silver buttons...

google it

also, if you are looking to invest in silver....i'd recommend doing it in a form other than buttons. perhaps coins and bars? not buttons that fall off and are lost...

6. BespokeKiwi

@Isolation give my custom jeweller in HK a call for a fresh quote. I will PM you a copy of the invoice. Obviously, with silver prices down since my purchase earlier in the year, he should quote you less than I paid. Also, I expect I paid an "ang mo" premium too, which you should be able to side steep.

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Congrats on both!

8. BespokeKiwi

@PCK1 agreed, regarding the other forms of precious metal to accumulate. Silver 4-hole buttons in precious metal are as rare as hens' teeth to find on the internet, I tried unsuccessfully. So, had to resort to custom making mine.

EDIT: For the really expensive gold buttons, I'm intending to limit them for now to just the spare buttons on the inside of the coat. Sewn into the inside of one of the inside pockets, as an added precaution against them falling off.

9. stylecore

stylecore Active Member

I've had good luck with http://bennosbuttons.com/ for horn buttons for a suit. The customer service was great - I actually ordered the wrong size the first time around and they did an exchange at no extra shipping cost. FWIW, there are usually coupons out there as well.

10. BespokeKiwi

@stylecore I see that your buttons supplier has even got 4-hole gold toned buttons too, albeit matt--not brilliantly polished or shiny. Your contact may be of interest to @Isolation too.

Bennos Buttons -- 4-Hole Matt Gold Toned Buttons
    http://bennosbuttons.com/blazer-buttons/m-1275-metal-fashion-button.html

Personally, I will keep this supplier in mind for a future new commission (i.e. Cary Grant inspired light grey summer blazer) requiring gold toned buttons, as my old Amazon.com supplier (EliteButtons.com) appears to have ceased trading. Thanks.

[​IMG]

P.S. Also, I think such a blazer would look very nice with 4-hole mid-tan horn buttons too. Damn, the late Grace Kelly was one fine woman -- a total babe!. FYI @spectre .

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I just went through all my ties and when I started out here, I used to love paisley ties, now I can't really think of a fit where a different tie wouldn't be better.

What is wrong with me :(

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I wouldn't invest based on just technicals, that's a recipe for disaster. They're a nice extra reason for why to invest, but don't use it as your main reason.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Quick question for you, gentlemen. This briefcase - to kop, or pass?

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the top flap actually has a rectangular cut-out for the handles.
    It's nothing terribly special, but not so bad either, and about US$140 at a local market here in Shanghai.

14. BespokeKiwi

@Monkeyface
    - Agreed. Investing solely on the basis of technicals is a "recipe for disaster".
    - However, please recall that my advice to @Isolation was in the context of his interest in commissioning some new custom made 4-hole .925 silver blazer buttons--not silver futures contracts on the COMEX. [​IMG]
    - So, if he decides to get his custom buttons made now, then I do think he will regret it--as its a good time to buy low. Especally, for contrarians and "good value" bargain hunters. JMHO. DYODD.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Or I could kop this one (assuming it hasn't been sold - it probably has). Much nicer, but it was more like $500. It was in a shop in Melbourne.

[​IMG]