1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I find that a bit surprising. Well tailored, I'd think most people could find a DB cut that looks good on them.

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

It has to do with my complexion and the fact that due to an over-sensitive skin I cannot go clean shaven. Believe me, it looks bad.

3. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I'll definitely go over the composite thread - I did start to before I went on holiday. Expect some tie photos tomorrow! I'll also pick 20 outfits I love from the thread.

Thanks heaps for all the assistance!

4. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I wonder if that's why I feel so comfortable in a DB suit - and yes singing is the biggest cause of my big chest syndrome!

5. aglose

aglose Senior member

Alright guys, here are my 20 or so fits that I thought best encompass my personal style and what I want out of my wardrobe. I'll pick my ten favorite ties and post them in the next few days as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmm, the sleeve length looks just about perfect to me, but that's just how I prefer them. I'm no fan of 1 inch of shirt sleeve showing under the jacket sleeve. IMHO 1/4-1/2 inch hits the sweet spot. This looks like ~ 1/4, but the watch prevents one of the sleeves from showing.

2 people like this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You mixed the two exercises, aglose.

The twenty tie thing was to help see where you are in your wardrobe building, and the twenty fit thing was to see what your general desired style was. Though at least now we know your general taste in ties. Looking at what you've chosen, I'd say you like textured solids. So do you have a good brown solid, blue solid, and deep red/burgundy solid?

8. aglose

aglose Senior member

I would say I picked those fits for more then just ties. I liked the way the jackets fit, draped and also the color combinations. But yes, I suppose the ties did draw me in on most of the fits as well.

I have a bunch of neats in different colors but almost no solid ties. I guess I didn't really start with the basics.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Looks like you enjoy striped ties as well? Maybe you and Clags can be BFFs?

1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Ah, sorry, my mistake aglose.

How are you on navy jackets/suits? And as stated earlier, go towards texture with ties (as long as you have jackets which aren't super smooth worsted).

Everything you picked is either a suit or a navy/gray combo. So your tastes are simple and easy enough to achieve.

11. aglose

aglose Senior member

I do have quite a few repp ties. They just seem easier to pair. Probably not as easy as a navy grenadine or something but easier then other patterned ties. Any advice on some reasonably priced ties in solid colors? I looked at Sam Hober and they seem to be the best price between that, Drakes and Cappelli. I haven't looked at Vanda or any others outside of Drakes, Cappelli and Hober.

12. Claghorn

Hober is definitely the best deal. Though Exquisite Trimmings on sale provides comparably priced grenadines. I prefer fina weaves over grossa, but I suspect you'd prefer the larger weave. I'd start with brown and then get burgundy.

Chipp, who provides the cheapest grenadines, really isn't a great source due to their linings.

13. aglose

aglose Senior member

I looked at both fina and grossa on the Hober site and I thought the fina looked better to me. How often do ET's grenadines go on sale?

14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can highly recommend the grenadine ties from Andrews ties. Hand rolled edges and good thickness of the lining. Unfortunately they run out of forest green and chocolate brown really fast, but they'll probably restock sooner or later. The price is great too (~$64):

http://www.andrewsties.se/index.php?cPath=74_62_76

1 person likes this.
  15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think ET grenadines are a little less than the Hober's, but a better deal if you buy several. Hober's are bespoke too, and at $85 prior to shipping, also a great deal. I have one ET grenadine and think it very nice (grossa--I prefer the more casual "crunchy" weave of the grossa, but both are nice). Homer's are four-fold standard, ET's three fold.

I do remember Shaya having a 20% off on the grenadines a while back, but I don't think they routinely go on sale.

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

@Claghorn I saw today on Paul's tumble that he is getting his first bespoke commission from B&Tailor

18. aglose

aglose Senior member

They look a little on the shiny side to me. Are they that way in person?

19. aglose

aglose Senior member

So @Claghorn you think [​IMG]
    That would be a good next step?

20. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Yes, but don't focus on grenadines alone. There are plenty of other great fabrics for a solid tie.

1 person likes this.