Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Assistance required please gentlemen.

Been after one of these for a long time and took delivery today. Aside from a little shortening of the sleeves, good to go. The question regards the buttons. Keep these? Or replace? replace with what?

I have an idea what I want to do but will be glad of your informed opinion. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

A newb's take.
    It seems to me like them white buttons stick out like a sore thumb against the dark color.
    [​IMG]

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

MOP buttons? I think they can look great. Hard to tell from that picture though!

doodle's suggestion would work too.

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I'd say (smoked) MoP or - gasp! - brass buttons. I always associated those with old sailors, but have recently added a set to one of my navy jackets and have come to like them. Give it a try! [​IMG]

5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I'm joining the conversation on its ebb tide, but I thought I'd weigh in on the thrifted wardrobe debate. Clags posited that there was only one poster with a heavily thrifted wardrobe that he felt was well dressed, and one cannot argue with that, but I think my plimsoll line is a little lower. My guess is that Clags is referring to Orgetorix, but he could also be referring to Pingson, depending on one's definition of a thrifted wardrobe. Outside of those two, GMMcL, DonC, and Cotton Dockers (at least in his pre-SWD days) also employ a good deal of thrifted/consignment pick-ups. Then there is myself. Most of my suits and SCs are thrifted or e-thrifted. I've found that staple flannel pants are very hard to thrift and that shirts that I like are also hard to find in sufficient quantity. I turn to Luxire now for those.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Gentlemen,

I bring forth this question again. Does anyone have first-hand experience with EIDOS suits?
    [​IMG]
    The measurements on 50R are similar but not exact for obvious reasons (different makers).

@jungleroller
    What are you up to nowadays? You doing well?

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Re: the navy jacket, I really only like white buttons / smoked MOP on a summer jacket, ideally with some linen in it. Brown horn or metal buttons are a better idea otherwise IMO.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Id be very surprised if very many people here at all did not find clothing fun, even those who dress on the boring side.

Personally, I find it enthralling.

Not at all.

Some people walk around in the sartorial equivalent.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

If the drop on that suit worked for me, it would be mine. Loads of people love their Eidos suits/SC. The price/quality ratio is pretty outstanding...from what I hear. I haven't been able to try anything on myself.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Haha, I see the dig :p

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that all three of those Peak Lapel jackets were sacks. I think I'm going to have the waist nipped as well, but I think I'm done buying jackets for a while after that because I have probably close to 12 SC's of which atleast 4 I could get away with wearing every or every other week.

At this point, I've also bought a few more 'classic' shirts with stitchy approved collars. I might pick up 2-3 more so I have a solid rotation going. I'd probably only wear these with SC's. I honestly don't wear jackets that often in the summer because it's hot as fak. Spring/fall/winter I want to start wearing them atleast 3-4 times a week.

At this point, I see the following 'holes' in my wardrobe.

I have 2-3 pairs of nice wool pants: a brown and navy most notably, and two pairs of tweed pants (one grey birdseye and one brown herringbone). So I'm on the look for grey wool pants.

Aside from this, I think I'm in a relatively good place, especially now with ties.

I'd like to up my shoe game in the future too so I'd hope to pick up a couple of pairs of nice shoes over the next year or so.

At this point, I'd like to take a stock of my wardrobe. If advisable, I'd like to post up the SC's and possibly some of the ties/pants I have and get some recs re: pairing and such. It'll be quite the undertaking, but I guess it would be helpful for me and I'd like to see what people here say.

I suppose that's what this thread was for right? I guess I could start another one, but I think it'd fit in here as well.

As did you a few short years ago. Honestly, your exasperation upon having seen the light strikes me as slightly odd given how long you took to see it. While, you've definitely been supremely helpful at times, I think this is something that has irked me at times. You just expect people to 'get it' when coming to the answer themselves or being guided to it is far more helpful than smacking them in the face with it.

I remember a few months ago I went mostly silent for a bit on WAYWRN because of stuff you and tits had said. I posted a few fits, but mostly tried to see why things did or didn't work based on what people were saying. If people had just told me that this works and this doesn't, then I really wouldn't have believed them.

Also, seajen's point is salient. A lot more people do this for a bulk of their stuff. They just don't advertise it as loudly as I have, but also they've already reached a point where they have a good idea of what they're doing so they're less likely to make mistakes that you can easily blame on thrifting.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

RTC, I sent you a pm...

12. kulata

kulata Senior member

If I were you in addition to that I'd look at these :D

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-74159-orazio-luciano-gray-suit-42-us-52-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-71926-orazio-luciano-navy-blue-suit-42-us-52-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-63311-luigi-borrelli-gray-suit-size-40-us-50-eu.aspx
    http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-71918-orazio-luciano-gray-suit-40-us-50-eu.aspx

@Cleav A vote for Smoked MOP

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

But the bulk of what we find is not for us. I keep a very small fraction of the things I find. The rest is sold to fund my habit.

I think Stitchy's point is that too often a thrifter will buy and wear something merely because it was cheap and available and provide such as his excuse for wearing it. This is also true of many who make purchases elsewhere too (the recent extensive debate regarding some bespoken wares, for example). The advice that he is trying to impart, if I can be so bold, is that this is a false economy. Wiser to buy better and fewer. Which, incidentally, is true whatever one's price range.

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

They have similar measurements.