Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yes.

PM me measurements on the RRLs, plz.

2. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

picked up these two at berg & berg cause of the free international shipping...never ordered from them before...have no idea if there stuff is good or not...but they look decent...and they are fall/winter staples....so figured i couldn't go wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

sugar is referring to RTC's red jacket
    Definitely get it taken in at the waist. Looks super, super sacky right now. Unless you're trying for that whole ivy/sack look

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have two Berg and Berg ties and a couple of their squares. The squares were awful. Felt like very cheap silk. But this was a few seasons ago. One tie is lightly lined and ties an ok knot. I have a knit tie from them as well, and it ties the best knot of any knit ties I own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looks good. I'm pretty against patterned grenadines (the pattern combined with the weave makes the whole thing a bit busy), but with really large scale patterns, it works.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

We shall see then how I feel about the knots when I receive mine...

That knit tie does have a nice knot...and this seems to be a problem with a lot of knit ties

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I mean, it's made by trad place in the late 70's early 80's so I think it was designed as a sack. Maybe having the waist nipped at both the vents will shape it a bit better, but in my experience with BB suits, it honestly doesn't give the effect you think it will due to how it was made to begin with. I might take them to a better tailor to have some work done if just the waist doesn't work because of how amazing these jackets are and how well they otherwise fit. I'd have to pay a few hundred dollars to get something like this new.

7. ridethecliche

Is there any harm in storing ties by folding them in half and then rolling them and storing on their side like so:

[​IMG]

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I would personally never store my ties like that, RTC

It might ruin the folds/shape of the ties putting them on the side like that under the force of gravity.

Best way to store lined silk fabric ties is to hang them. (Including lined grenadines)

Roll knits, as they can stretch if hanged

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, I always hang mine. I recently bought some special hangers from Ikea that work quite well. They only cost a couple of bucks, so worth the investment.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Claghorn

That's a really nice knit, and well paired with that jacket. My feeling is that with thinner ties, say 8cm, one should use a more substantial lining. This aids with the knot and dimpling which in the first case looks a little forlorn (i.e. insubstantial).

BTW, how is the Tie your Tie knot, now that you've received it from C&A?

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I store my ties laid flat similar to this. Watching my father destroy ties by pulling them off a hanger has turned me off using that method.

[​IMG]

13. ridethecliche

Yeah, I definitely don't want to hang mine.

I'd love to store mine like vox, but there's no way I have that much space. I tried organizing mine last night by folding them the way vox has and stacking them. It was easier to see them all when they were rolled, but I was worried about them losing shape. I might try rolling them all again and leaving the knits/grens like they are above.

I feel like rolling is the most convenient and shouldn't hurt the ties if they're rolled loosely enough, no?

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

How can hanging possibly destroy a lined tie?

The drawer laying method looks nice, but it would require constant manipulation of the ties to keep them lined up straight...

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't see why the drawer method is better, except perhaps for knits (though I'm not convinced) and maybe for very heavy multi-fold ties. I actually hang my one knit and it seems fine. So long as one doesn't "yank" the tie off the hanger (perhaps Shaya, that's what your dad did), I'm not sure that gravity will really affect the tie's structure. After all, it's natural place is to hang from the neck.

Rotate one's ties, tie with care, gently untie it when done (reverse tie), etc, and the tie should be ready to hand down to your children when you are finished with them.